BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
I use a BMW torque wrench on my wheels. The socket has big 17 engraved on it, so I will go out on a limb and say the socket size is 17mm.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,260 Posts
Well, the OP specifically said lug REMOVAL, so a breaker bar would be fine. But I can't imagine REINSTALLING a wheel without a quality torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
I use the BMW torque wrench for both the removal and installation. It's not the same quality as my good torque wrenches, but is seems to work fine.

·
Happily Driving
7,380 Posts
I use the BMW torque wrench for both the removal and installation. It's not the same quality as my good torque wrenches, but is seems to work fine.
Agreed- I had no problems with the BMW torque wrench that comes with the jack kit.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I use a Toptul Air Impact Wrench, torque limiting extensions and sockets with nylon/plastic to prevent scuffing on wheels and lugs. I bought them from Steve at ultimategarage.com though I just looked and don't see exactly what I have currently there.

Certainly many other brands and sources, I know Harbor Freight has a set of torque limiting extensions.

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
I use a Toptul Air Impact Wrench, torque limiting extensions and sockets with nylon/plastic to prevent scuffing on wheels and lugs. I bought them from Steve at ultimategarage.com though I just looked and don't see exactly what I have currently there.

Certainly many other brands and sources, I know Harbor Freight has a set of torque limiting extensions.
What compressor do you use with these?

·
Registered
429 Posts
What compressor do you use with these?
I'm using a small Makita MAC2400 (fairly quiet for a compressor) which is really just barely adequate for this use but since I'm not a shop it works out fine. Sometimes wait a few moments for it to get back to full pressure.

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
Thanks for the read. I have been looking at a compressor/ wrench combo lately.

The Porter-Cable C2002 has great reviews seemingly and is quiet but in light of your comments it may not be powerful enough.

I am also looking at the Neiko Pro Tools 3 Ton Jack.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Plenty of threads on different jacks if you search. I have an Arcan XL35 from Northern, sometimes wish I had an aluminum jack since it's so heavy.

Don't claim to be an expert on the impact wrenches by any means but I had figured I needed a minimum of a least 4.0 CFM at 90 PSI. I think mine is 4.2 CFM

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
Some of you guys use a 1/2 breaker bar. How does one determine how "tight" should the lugs be tightened when replacing them?

Did everyone get s BMW torque wrench? The tool "kit" in the trunk lid is almost empty, save for a couple of items: I didn't get a jack kit (2011 F10 non-european delivery).

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,260 Posts
Some of you guys use a 1/2 breaker bar. How does one determine how "tight" should the lugs be tightened when replacing them?

Did everyone get s BMW torque wrench? The tool "kit" in the trunk lid is almost empty, save for a couple of items: I didn't get a jack kit (2011 F10 non-european delivery).
No, a torque wrench is something you buy separately. A quality torque wrench will last 20 years or more if not abused. I have a Craftsman, purchased 25 years ago when Craftsmen tools were still quality, and carried a lifetime warranty. You can buy a BMW one at the parts department of your dealership, or a quality aftermarket one from any of a dozen online retailers.

I'm guessing that the guys who use the breaker bar use it for loosening the lugs, not retorquing them. At least, I hope so....

I've always been told that having all 5 lugs torqued the same is critical: you don't want to have one torqued to 85 lb-ft, and another torqued to 120. Only way I know to do that is with a torque wrench.

PS the other essential tool is a screw in stud to position the wheel while you attach the lugs. Mercedes used to include these in their tool kits; for some reason BMW never did. I got mine from an advertiser in Roundel, and can't imagine changing wheels without one.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,260 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. Amazing wealth of knowledge on these forums.
And what we don't know, we cheerfully make up.:bigpimp:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.