BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car began to have a rough idle one morning and now stutters when I drive. It sounds like I can hear air or a puffing sound when idle. Reminds me of a bad muffler but not as loud and comes from the front . Can anyone give me an idea as to what these symptoms may be?

·
Registered
54 Posts
My car began to have a rough idle one morning and now stutters when I drive. It sounds like I can hear air or a puffing sound when idle. Reminds me of a bad muffler but not as loud and comes from the front . Can anyone give me an idea as to what these symptoms may be?
I just got done diagnosis my issue yesterday. They were similar to yours, idle flutters, noticeable vacuum sound from the front of the engine. A couple of days prior the CEL came on. The codes were P0171 and P0174, both are lean codes. I knew then it was a vacuum leak somewhere. Long story short, I sprayed some brake cleaner where I could hear the leak (near the DISA Valve) and lo and be hold the idle fluttered very harsh. The problem was the material on the DISA Valve was not creating an air tight seal, pulled it out and placed an O Ring on, bingo problem gone. This was my issue, I am quite confident you have a vacuum leak as well. Good luck, let me know whatcha find .

Sent from my SM-G935T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you show me a pic of the area or a link to a diagram that I can check that? I certainly can replace it if I know where to look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got done diagnosis my issue yesterday. They were similar to yours, idle flutters, noticeable vacuum sound from the front of the engine. A couple of days prior the CEL came on. The codes were P0171 and P0174, both are lean codes. I knew then it was a vacuum leak somewhere. Long story short, I sprayed some brake cleaner where I could hear the leak (near the DISA Valve) and lo and be hold the idle fluttered very harsh. The problem was the material on the DISA Valve was not creating an air tight seal, pulled it out and placed an O Ring on, bingo problem gone. This was my issue, I am quite confident you have a vacuum leak as well. Good luck, let me know whatcha find .

Sent from my SM-G935T using Bimmerfest mobile app
What side of the car is the Disa Valve on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts