BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,185 Posts
Does both the front and rear of the right side go down, or just one corner? If it's only one corner, see if the strut or air line is leaking. If it's the entire side, the chance that both struts failed together is low, so the issue is more likely to be with the valve block. Leaks can often be identified by spraying soapy water and looking for bubbles.

BMW does not sell the valve block separately from the compressor, but you may be able to get an aftermarket replacement.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,185 Posts
Robin750,

Is this what you are referring to:

Correct, that is the valve block.

If you look at the RealOEM link in my previous post, you'll see that cars built before Aug 2016 use compressor part # 37206861882. I assume yours is before then since that date seems to be SOP for MY2017, which uses compressor part # 37206884682. Not sure if the valve blocks are interchangeable between these parts since that link only lists compatibility with the newer part.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,185 Posts
Sounds like you've done this repair? Was it difficult?
I haven't had any issues with the air suspension but there have been a couple threads about it on the F01 and G12 boards. The F01 only has single axle air suspension but the G12 has dual axle, so the systems are not identical but you may find some value going through those threads too.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,185 Posts
Is it accessed from the trunk or under the car?
Underneath.

BTW, I just checked the replacement steps in ISTA and the compressor is located in the rear left corner of the car. You may be able to get some access by removing the wheel and wheel liner, but if that's not enough, you may need to remove the exhaust and exhaust heat shield.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,185 Posts
Does this still sound like it could be a valve block issue as suggested above?
It could be either the valve block or the air strut, the compressor is running for too long because the rear right is not holding air. Since you hear those bursts on the right side of the car, it's not the valve block as the compressor is on the left side. Can you get closer and feel for air around the air line connection?

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,185 Posts
I'm about to attempt this repair. Going to replace the right rear air strut. Can someone tell me if there are instructions on ISTA+ that will give me some sort of guidance? If not, does anyone have any information they can share on how to do it?
ISTA should have everything you need. It looks like the rear seat needs to come out to remove the parcel shelf and get access to the strut tower screws, so it's going to be rather involved.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,185 Posts
Oh, one thing I noticed that was different than in the ISTA steps was it said remove the rear side airbags.. I never found those, even though there was "airbag" written on the C-pillar trim panel
That label on the C-pillar trim is for the curtain airbag.

Some older models like the E65 had optional rear side airbags that pop out from the door panel, similar to what the front row has. I would guess that the rear side airbag was dropped, at least for the US market, due to not being needed for side impact protection or increased risk of injury (ie. child seat installed right next to the airbag).

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
3,185 Posts
Just curious... how would I Inform BMW that I have the vehicle? Through the app?
Call BMW Customer Relations:

You may also want to ask your service advisor to update the information they have. The home dealer for your car will get notified for any upcoming services or certain malfunctions, which sometimes includes a personalized service coupon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts