BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the "dont chew bubble gum in a BMW" light on, or for those who dont know what I am saying the airbag light just came on in my car. I replaced the factory 4 spoke for an Alcantara ZHP model. I haven't gotten the airbag yet so I want to turn off the light cause it is annoying. Anyone know either which wires on the back of the cluster to cut or a fuse # to pull? Ideas.....

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Only way to shut it off is with a scan tool that is capable of it (not generic ODB2).

Either the Peake SRS tool, an autologic, Modic, etc...

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only way to shut it off is with a scan tool that is capable of it (not generic ODB2).

Either the Peake SRS tool, an autologic, Modic, etc...
Let me clarify, not "turn off" I meant "disable". Surely the wires that light the light can be cut? I just need to know which ones. Is there a bulb I can remove from the cluster?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Let me clarify, not "turn off" I meant "disable". Surely the wires that light the light can be cut? I just need to know which ones. Is there a bulb I can remove from the cluster?
I recommend putting black electrical tape on the outside of the cluster :). Getting inside the cluster to remove the light isn't easy (It's probably a surface mount LED and not a bulb) and there wouldn't be just a set of wires... I'm guessing the cluster receives a specific signal from the k-bus telling it to illuminate the light.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recommend putting black electrical tape on the outside of the cluster :). Getting inside the cluster to remove the light isn't easy (It's probably a surface mount LED and not a bulb) and there wouldn't be just a set of wires... I'm guessing the cluster receives a specific signal from the k-bus telling it to illuminate the light.
Hmmm. Maybe I'll color it in with a sharpie!:rofl:

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've seen the sharpie trick when I was browing to buy a car a while back. Bad bad bad honest Bob dealers.
I am not doing this to cover anything up. If my car was for sale it'd be pretty obvious why the light is on anyway...THERE IS A HUGE FREAKIN HOLE WHERE THE AIRBAG SHOULD BE!

I am not ever selling this car anyway. I am simply trying to not look at the light until my new airbag comes in, er, I can afford to order one!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Does airbag light come on when you hit certain miles like some cars? So you have to go to the dealer and have it done? Or all of a sudden, the air bag light came on?

I bet you can find a wire from the ECU and cut it or put a resistor in it. the color and other technical details...probably takes a lot of search.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Does airbag light come on when you hit certain miles like some cars? So you have to go to the dealer and have it done? Or all of a sudden, the air bag light came on?

I bet you can find a wire from the ECU and cut it or put a resistor in it. the color and other technical details...probably takes a lot of search.
No, the light does not automatically come on.

You'd have to put the resistor in the connector before restarting the car. Once the light is on, it has to be shut off with a SRS tool. Even putting a new airbag in will not shut the light off.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, the light does not automatically come on.

You'd have to put the resistor in the connector before restarting the car. Once the light is on, it has to be shut off with a SRS tool. Even putting a new airbag in will not shut the light off.
Well, I guess I just deal with it till I get the new airbag. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
148 Posts
i believe the only other way would be to take the cluster apart (a litlle twist on the speedo rings mod) and then count which of the leds(they are in rows behind a lil template which lights up as faults) is the airbag one......

then you just stick some dark tissue or sumthing opaque on it and reassemble the cluster and fit back into the dash.......

i know that works because ive seen it being done

p.s. you do this at your own will and do not take my word for it(disclaimer...lol)

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
find a friend with a carsoft and have it done?
Thanks guys. As you can see from my post above, I have larger projects to tackle!

See "how about this for a DIY" thread above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts