Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_Visors.htm

I did it to my newly acquired '03 330Ci. Although generally helpful, there are a few pointers missing from the DIY that I picked up from threads elsewhere that should be mentioned:

Equipment:

1. Cotton balls. I began with q-tips, but ended up with small sponges. The problem with cotton balls is they have small fibers that are a pain. No such problem with sponges and they're easier to manipulate.

2. Goof-off. Others have said 'Oops!' may work. There is also Goof-off 2 but it says it's safe for vinyl so I don't know if it would still wrinkle (loosen) the label. 'Goo-gone' is useless.

3. Masking tape. Skip this. The problem is the masking tape adhesive is just as bad as the label adhesive once the solvent starts running into it.

4. Lacquer thinner. Not mentioned but you need it. Some guys said nail polish remover works, too. Whatever is used, you need this to clean-up the adhesive which remains on the visor after you've used the Goof-off to get the sticker itself off.

5. 303 Aerospace Protectant. A lot of guys use Vinylex but some reported a slightly 'greasy', shiny finish (but not as bad as Armor-All). The 303 product is supposed to have a matte finish but you have to buy it from boating supply places or Tru-Value.

The driver's visor sticker came off pretty much as described in the DIY. Left the shiny adhesive rectangle. The passenger's was a lot harder. The label didn't wrinkle. Others have had the same problem. I don't know why this happens, maybe the adhesive forms more of a 'bond' with the visor vinyl. All I know is I tried for atleast 30 minutes to get that damn sticker to wrinkle.

After a while of this, I finally got frustrated and just started pulling the label off. I had to use pressure which distorted and waved the vinyl badly. The pieces came up in very tiny fragments. At this point, the ink from the label had begun coming off. I ended up with a horrible looking passenger visor. I'd thought to myself that I'd just made the interior of a new $38k car look like hell.

But then, after a couple of hours, the vinyl of the passenger side visor returned essentially to normal. There was an interior depression in the visor that the vinyl kind of contoured over, but it was still okay. Still had the dirty, shiny, adhesive rectangle though. The rectangle on the driver's side wasn't as dirty (the sticker came off in much bigger pieces), just shiny. Lacquer thinner took care of any remaining adhesive.

Used the 303 but not sure of the benefit, other than maybe evening out the whole appearance of the visor.

Overall, it's kind of a headache, but it's worth the effort. Those stickers really suck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cute, but no thanks

Someone should probably consolidate all of these threads. That's why I posted in the 'General' forum rather than on the 3-specific board. I kind of figured that the problem was universal to all models, and not just mine.

I'm surprised that the Z3 guys couldn't get the adhesive rectangle off. And I wish I had known about just using the lacquer thinner without going to the trouble of finding Goof-off.

It was also interesting to note that others had the problem of the sticker 'bonding' to the visor vinyl like I did on the passenger side. Once that happens, it really becomes a PITA to get it off.

I'm afraid that the replacement airbag sticker, although cute, looks too much like the original.

Did any of those guys who bought the brand new replacement Euro visors without the stickers mention the price?

·
Suede Master
1,437 Posts
Euro Visor pricing

On the Z3 Coupes the price for the replacement visor is $70.50 (that is the price for one). This is one of those times when it helps to have a wholesale account :bigpimp:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is Cincy?

That's actually a lot better than I had thought it would be.

Where was that from, BMW Store or Sweeney's?

·
Suede Master
1,437 Posts
Neither

I will never step foot in the BMW Store again. If I take my car anywhere it will be to Sweeney (Long story, me and the BMW Store no longer get along).

I have a wholesale account with South Motors in Florida. If you are looking to go with new visors (or any other parts for that matter) let me know and I will get them for a lot cheaper than the $70.50 list price.

I am located in the Anderson area (Near Lumpkin Airport).

Andy

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Re: Good Idea

ruteger said:
Someone should probably consolidate all of these threads.
I don't know how to 'consolidate' (maybe Jon knows a way) but I was going to put a thread in the DIY with links to the other 3. (I don't have the admin power to move all of them) :dunno:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The main idea would be to have some sort of central, easily accessed and identified area where the info on this particular DIY could be retrieved by BMW owners in general. I'm not sure that there's anyone who wouldn't like to get rid of the airbag stickers.

But I would guess that most people don't even know they can be removed, and the others aren't willing to take the chance of 'fouling-up' the sunvisors of their beloved car (both being legitimate concerns, considering they're on so well that they look like they're non-removable, even painted or imprinted onto the visors).

Frankly, it looks like a good topic to be included in each of the models' FAQs, but be as accurate and complete as possible.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Thanks for the informative write-up. I tried Goo Gone and you're right. It did ABSOLUTELY nothing. I must have emptyied half the friggin bottle on one visor and not a thing. My car smelled all citrusy for a few days though... :eeps:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Chris330Ci said:
Thanks for the informative write-up. I tried Goo Gone and you're right. It did ABSOLUTELY nothing. I must have emptyied half the friggin bottle on one visor and not a thing. My car smelled all citrusy for a few days though... :eeps:
yummy :D

·
5,820 Posts
Chris330Ci said:
Goof Off not Goo Gone

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chris330Ci said:
Not as informative as it could have been. Ron Stygar said in one of the other threads that using lacquer thinner for the entire process is just as effective as using Goof-Off for the sticker first, then lacquer thinner for the adhesive residue which remains after.

This actually makes sense because I checked out a similiar thread over on a Miata board and it's all lacquer thinner over there, with not a peep about Goof-Off.

But the Goo-Gone sure smells a lot better, doesn't it?:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts