BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
UR MOTHER IS AN ASTRONAUT
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this has ever been posted here. I did a search and nothing came up, so I decided to contribute. This rule applies to all if not most of the airlines. Keep a copy with you just in case the counter rep can't find their copy. I heard about this on a show on Fine Living.

http://www.mytravelrights.com/travellaw.cfm?ai=3 or do a google search for Rule 240

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Good find!:thumbup:
Thank You!

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts

·
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good stuff indeed.

Here's a another link to the current rule which notes that some carriers have softened their 240 rule. It also indicates that some carriers might not have agreements with other airlines to get you on the next flight.

http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/AirfareWatchBlog/tabid/54/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/353/240-The-Rule-Has-Changed.aspx

What I'd be curious about is that since many ED'ers use Lufthansa, would this rule apply to Lufthansa?
That was one of the things I thought about also.:rofl:

·
Registered
107 Posts
What I'd be curious about is that since many ED'ers use Lufthansa, would this rule apply to Lufthansa?
The EU has a seperate set of rules, I don't have them handy. They are quite abit more consumer friendly. When US Air was giving us a hard time getting out of Munich last year (2 days of cancelled flights) it came in handy. My wife found a stack of the pamphlets detailing the passengers rights and started handing them out to everyone in line. The employees were NOT pleased with her! We got hotels, meal vouchers, and phone cards. We tried to get the 700 euro compensation package, but US Air only gave us $350 each, so better than nothing.

I believe the way it works is that in the US heading overseas it would be rule 240. In Europe heading home it is the EU regulations. I don't think it matters what country the airline is from, they are bound by the rules in effect where the airport is. So overseas carries such as Lufthansa would be bound by 240 in the US but when in Europe it would be the EU rules.

Chris

·
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh-haaaaaaaaaaaaa. Good to know

·
Registered
905 Posts
Better than printing Rule 240 is to print the Contract of Carriage. That's what you really agreed to. Rule 240 is an old outdated rule, and a lot of the discount carriers don't even abide by that rule (and never have).

http://www.flynet.lufthansa.com/en/index.php?ref=1_1_agb.php

That's Lufthansa's COC. Here's the tidbit from cancelled/delayed flights. However international flights are somewhat different at times because of the lower frequency and higher loads.

<quote=Lifthansa's Contract of Carriage>
Cancellation, Rerouting, Delays, etc.
We will take all necessary measures to avoid delay in carrying you. In the exercise of these measures and in order to prevent a flight cancellation, in exceptional circumstances beyond our control we may arrange for a flight to be operated on our behalf by an alternative carrier and/or aircraft.
Except as otherwise provided by the Convention, if we cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight reasonably according to the schedule, fail to stop at your destination or stopover destination, or cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you hold a confirmed reservation, we shall, at your option either:
carry you at the earliest opportunity on another of our scheduled services on which space is available; or
re-route you to the destination shown on your Ticket by our own services or those of another carrier, or by mutually agreed means and class of transportation without additional charge. If the fare and charges for the revised routing are lower than what you have paid, we shall refund the difference; or
make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 10.2.
Upon the occurrence of any of the events set out in Article 9.2.2., except as otherwise provided by the Convention, the options outlined in Article 9.2.2.1. through 9.2.2.3. are the sole and exclusive remedies available to you and we shall have no further liability to you.
If we are unable to provide previously confirmed space, we shall provide compensation to those Passengers denied boarding in accordance with applicable law and our denied boarding compensation policy.
[/quote]

·
Powder Days
1,996 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
this rule applies if the delay wasn't involuntary. In case of a delay, cancelation due to weather, ATC, or any other reasons outside the airline's control, the passengers are not reimbursed, nor accommodated. They usually get re-routed on other airlines based on an Involuntary Rule, but that's based on the availability. Here is the interesting part: the gold or premium frequent fliers are always accommodated, no matter what

·
Powder Days
1,996 Posts
Here is the interesting part: the gold or premium frequent fliers are always accommodated, no matter what
As a Million Mile flyer on three airlines and a next to top tier currently on two, "always" is slightly overstated, especially when flying those exemplars who have been through bankruptcy. :angel:

However, if one is pleasant and willing to remain calm, "always accommodated" is almost always true. Being a pain the the butt almost always results in less than desirable results. :banghead:

Cheers

·
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Talk about assumptions

Hmmm....I see the local klansman is back!
Before you go assuming someone is part of the KKK, you should get your facts straight. Assuming makes you an ass. First I am African-American. Second the changing of the words with the short "C" sound to the letter "K" is something that my fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi does.

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts
Thanks a lot for the heads up :thumbup:
Bimmerfest ahhh what a great resource :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
As a Million Mile flyer on three airlines and a next to top tier currently on two, "always" is slightly overstated, especially when flying those exemplars who have been through bankruptcy. :angel:

However, if one is pleasant and willing to remain calm, "always accommodated" is almost always true. Being a pain the the butt almost always results in less than desirable results. :banghead:

Cheers
of course it always helps to be nice, as a matter of a fact, you should never take it out on the checking or customer service agent. They have the power to help you if you treat them with respect.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Here is the interesting part: the gold or premium frequent fliers are always accommodated, no matter what
You make that sound like a bad thing.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
of course it always helps to be nice, as a matter of a fact, you should never take it out on the checking or customer service agent. They have the power to help you if you treat them with respect.
I wholeheartedly agree. They deserve to be treated nicely (not just because they can help but because it´s just common courtesy) but some people seem to let out all of their anger on these people. (Same thing on aircraft - some people seem to lose sight of any semblance of a good upbringing on a plane. I was flying back from London a month or so ago and a passenger on the opposite end of the cabin (I was in the first row, he was in row 4) was just complaining in an unpleasant tone about everything, much to everyone else´s annoyance. He continued complaining as we disembarked.)

Agents can be very very helpful. On a recent flight from Spartanburg to New York, the agent told me (before telling anyone else) of a very high likelihood that the flight would not go (due to weather) and printed out a list of local hotels so I could make a tentative reservation.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
What Covers Weather Delays?

I wil be leaving for Europe in less than 3 weeks.

I have been checking my Delta flight from Miami to JFK (with Delta connect to Venice) and have found that, in the past two weeks, 1/2 of the time the MIA/JFK flight is cancelled or has delays more than 2 hours. From what I understand, the delays are all weather related.

My question is: What will Delta do in cases of weather delays to get me to JFK --- or to Venice? (There is only one MIA/JFK flight per day, so if I miss it, I am SOL for a direct flight.) I am travelling Business/First.

The thread seems to indicate "Nothing, except return your money." That may be what the regs read, but does Delta, in the real world, accomodate people otherwise?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts