Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
From DownUnder
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Bought the Akebono 'Front Euro Ceramic Brake Pad Set' part 'Mfg Part #EUR918' for my E60 2004 model with front rotor size of 310. Now I pulled old brake pads out and put the new one in, much to my surprise the pad that goes into the piston side of the caliper fit, but the opposite pad has a clip at on it back which won't fit into the caliper space. See the image. Also the old pad does not have this clip on its back?

Did I get the wrong pads or is it as simple as pull this metal clip off and installing the pads? Why would they put the metal clip on it to start with? I could not be the first E60 users to install Akebono pads on stock caliper to face this problem. Car is on jacks and I need to be at work tomorrow :(

Any help is welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Those are the correct pads. The outer pads with the riveted retaining clip should still slide onto the caliper but you may need to compress the clip a bit. I believe 918A is the version that doesn't have the clip but it's only for a particular E90 model.

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,146 Posts
...........Now I pulled old brake pads out and put the new one in, much to my surprise the pad that goes into the piston side of the caliper fit, but the opposite pad has a clip at on it back which won't fit into the caliper space. ...........
The pad with the clip is the inboard pad. The clip is intended to fit inside the caliper piston. If the clip doesn't fit inside the caliper piston you've got the wrong pads.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
BMW updated the clips on the pads. Some had no clips or 4 clips but current ones have the new and improved 2 clip design.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,218 Posts
If the clips don't fit the outboard caliper claw, then I think they are wrong.
But, if they are the exact right size otherwise, and if the outboard caliper claw doesn't interfere, just get out your Dremel and cut off the clip wings, leaving the base intact since it is riveted, and just install them that way.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The pad with the clip is the inboard pad. The clip is intended to fit inside the caliper piston. If the clip doesn't fit inside the caliper piston you've got the wrong pads.
His issue is that all of the pads have some form of clip. The inner pads clip into the piston as you said and the outer pad is designed to grasp the outboard portion of the caliper. He's having problems getting the outer pad clipped into the caliper. It should fit though. Many aftermarket pads for BMWs don't have clips on the outer pads and I think even the OEM pads no longer have them.

·
Registered
995 Posts
His issue is that all of the pads have some form of clip. The inner pads clip into the piston as you said and the outer pad is designed to grasp the outboard portion of the caliper. He's having problems getting the outer pad clipped into the caliper. It should fit though. Many aftermarket pads for BMWs don't have clips on the outer pads and I think even the OEM pads no longer have them.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the Akebono EUR918's designed for the larger brake systems? OP mentions his rotor to be 310mm, which by the way is very odd since I don't think the e60 had a 310mm rotors on any specific model. I know some e90s had 300mm and 330mm rotors but other than that the size seems odd. Also, if you look at the OP's picture it's evident that the new brake pad is a bit larger, unless it's a matter of perspective. Lastly, I have a set of Pagid (OEM) front pads for my 550i and both sides have clips.

·
Under the lift arms
12,940 Posts
as328 is the correct lot number.. those are the correct pads for a 2008 550

HOW every your car calls for a EUR1061 front

EUR918 for For vehicles with automatic transmission

http://showmetheparts.com/akebono/

confirm......

and maybe the last 7 of your vin

honestly i dont think it matter.. Im almost sure my 540 took a 918, and the 550 also took a 918

*nope correction i was wrong.. dyslexic bastard

·
From DownUnder
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the clips don't fit the outboard caliper claw, then I think they are wrong.
But, if they are the exact right size otherwise, and if the outboard caliper claw doesn't interfere, just get out your Dremel and cut off the clip wings, leaving the base intact since it is riveted, and just install them that way.
Well yesterday, while waiting, I did hammer those clips off the pad and slide the pad on, but realised that the Akebono pads are slightly wider than the one I am taking off. About 5mm extra side, so it will sit outside the rotor surface. I think that will cause the breaking noice issue.

They're just a tight fit getting the three claws into the piston. Try a bit harder first.
Piston pad has 3 clips, that fits fine, this is the other side that does not have clips on my old pads.

Absolutely correct, but read above the new issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the Akebono EUR918's designed for the larger brake systems? OP mentions his rotor to be 310mm, which by the way is very odd since I don't think the e60 had a 310mm rotors on any specific model. I know some e90s had 300mm and 330mm rotors but other than that the size seems odd. Also, if you look at the OP's picture it's evident that the new brake pad is a bit larger, unless it's a matter of perspective. Lastly, I have a set of Pagid (OEM) front pads for my 550i and both sides have clips.
I bought these specific from ECS tunning and it said it fits E60 525i. Will my rear pads be wrong too??? I have not pulled them out yet. But definitely the front pads are 5mm+ wider and will sit outside the rotor surface.

I think my option here is to get new front brake pads, correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Well yesterday, while waiting, I did hammer those clips off the pad and slide the pad on, but realised that the Akebono pads are slightly wider than the one I am taking off. About 5mm extra side, so it will sit outside the rotor surface. I think that will cause the breaking noice issue.

Piston pad has 3 clips, that fits fine, this is the other side that does not have clips on my old pads.

Absolutely correct, but read above the new issue.

I bought these specific from ECS tunning and it said it fits E60 525i. Will my rear pads be wrong too??? I have not pulled them out yet. But definitely the front pads are 5mm+ wider and will sit outside the rotor surface.

I think my option here is to get new front brake pads, correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, you have wrong pads for your 525i. The correct Akebono Part # is EUR1061

Here is a link to Rockauto.com: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1144672&jsn=10502

·
From DownUnder
1,174 Posts

·
From DownUnder
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
So got the correct rear, but wrong front. Hmm
Well, if it makes you feel any better, general search for pads for your particular car shows EUR918 for front. Only by cross referencing OEM part # with akebono it becomes evident that EUR1061 is the part you need. I don't know why realoem.com does not list 310mm rotors for your model.

·
From DownUnder
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, if it makes you feel any better, general search for pads for your particular car shows EUR918 for front. Only by cross referencing OEM part # with akebono it becomes evident that EUR1061 is the part you need. I don't know why realoem.com does not list 310mm rotors for your model.
Thanks for your help mate, atleast I did not put the wrong ones on like a indy did once on mine. that is why I had to start DIY :)

·
From DownUnder
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Guys for the front, I just cut the sensor off and did not replace it and now the car is giving me brake sensor warning. Is there a way to turn that off or do I have to connect a sensor?

Also, if I buy the new sensor, will that come with a little spring around the edge? As I don't have the spring from the old sensor.

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,944 Posts
The sensor is a few resistors (steel strips) in parallel that get worn down with the pad.
If you're not using a sensor, connect the wires with a splice cap. A small twist on from house electrical might work. Fill it in with silicone. This will tell the computer the pads are always new.

·
From DownUnder
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The sensor is a few resistors (steel strips) in parallel that get worn down with the pad.
If you're not using a sensor, connect the wires with a splice cap. A small twist on from house electrical might work. Fill it in with silicone. This will tell the computer the pads are always new.
Re-used the rear sensor, and chopped off the front sensor. At first the brake light was yellow with a warning of "brake pad wear sensor". Then in the dashI tried to reset the front and rear pads, *now* the hand brake sign remains on as RED and I get service overdue error in the dash indicating brake pads are worn.

Do I have to install the front sensor?

@Kurt - 'connect the wires with a splice cap', are you saying connect the two cables together? I am not sure how close I chopped off at the connection will see.

My biggest concern, since the red parking light symbol is on and the dash warning about service overdue, will driving the car tomorrow to work be an issue?

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,218 Posts
My biggest concern, since the red parking light symbol is on and the dash warning about service overdue, will driving the car tomorrow to work be an issue?
I get it, you need to get to work while you still get all this done. As long as the car stops you are fine with all the warnings. Be aware that the handbrake may not work until you get it all properly adjusted. If the rear wheels do not turn when you put it back together with the handbrake off, the rear brakes have to be adjusted first or the rear will overheat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts