BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A kwik update on my conversion to Ak's & Zimmerman rotors. The braking of my 750i certainly is noticeably softer. Thats not all bad, with the original pads it was impossible to stop without a jolt ... no matter how hard I tried. I haven't had to test an emergency stop yet, hope I never have to but I know the stopping distance has increased. The best news is the dramatiic reduction in dust ... my old pads created so much dust in such a short time it was not only embarrassing but also a lot of work. You could hose the stuff off, each rim had to be worked by hand, every nook and cranny.

The Ak's are not dust free but whatever dust is being created is either being blown off oor is morphing into the same color as the rims? The old dust turned into a black soup resistant to all rim cleaning sprays. I mean after even a pressure wash would still need to laboriously clean each wheel. So for my money Akebonos rule.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
after a few hundred miles the aks will stop better.:thumbup:

·
Wardaddy in retirement
928 Posts
As long as you're not driving on the autobahn, I guess you can sacrifice a little bit of stopping power to dust-free operation.
I can't afford that, though I hate the crazy amounts of brake dust.

·
Super Moderator
9,943 Posts
I can now go 2 weeks without washing my wheels, but there is around a 15% decrease in stopping power. I have not had to slam on the brakes yet, but I think they will be ok. I think that Amazon had the best price.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Akebono Euro Ceramics actually have a higher CF and wider range of temperature operations then the OEM JuridTextar pads. Not lower. No reduction in stopping distance nor power... verified both by a g-meter and measurments. The also recovered faster temp wise. BUT, they do feel different. They are more progressive then the OEM pads so less initial 'bite'. Most people take that to mean a reduction in stopping power. They still dust, all pads do. But, the ceramic in the compound is light in color and less likely to stick to the rim. They are not racing pads, just high performance street pads.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Ive tested them and they work well, again the initial bite is gone but it just feels different they stop great tho.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Definitely my favorite mod so far. Wheels stay clean looking for weeks. I just picked up a 2005 330ci for my son with new oem brakes but the dust is so bad that I have already ordered Akebonos from fcpeuro. I used coupon code CYBER20 to save 20% off plus free shipping yesterday. Not sure if that still works. If not try coupon code CYBERWEEK to save 15%. You won't regret changing to these pads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.