Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
My wife drives the 325i
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend recently purchased a 325i and is scheduled to have the dealer program the keys. Although she does not have an alarm installed, I suggested that she request programming for this option so that the clown nose is activated.

With the clown nose programming, does future installation of the alarm system require "activation?" If the answer is no, this advance programming option might avoid an activation fee after a "do - it - yourself" installation of the alarm kit. However, the alarm would likely have the "default" mode.

Does this seem logical?

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Parump said:
With the clown nose programming, does future installation of the alarm system require "activation?"
AFAIK additional activation is required.

·
Phlyers Phan
363 Posts
i just did the install

i picked up the car 3 weeks ago and got the alarm from circle, i installed the alarm last week. the whole thing including the dealer activation was like 225 for alarm + 36 for activation. :thumb:

- the clown nose was set to blink even before i put the alarm in.
- to my surprise the car beeped on lock/unlock once the install was complete.
- alarm did work on the door locks. if you arm the alarm - you can't open the doors from inside or out.
- the motion sensor DID NOT work.

i ended up taking my car in to have the motion sensor set up. the computer needs to be told that motion sensor is now active.

my dealer ended up wiping out all my settings when they did this so i'm going back to have my autolocks and seat return postions set as well as the a/c temp control settings. :tsk:

Make sure you check these before you leave the dealership, I picked mine up on a saturday so no one was there to work on my car when i picked up. but it's just an avoidable pain in the arse.

·
Bimmerless
1,065 Posts
From what I've read, if you don't have the alarm but want the blinking clown-nose, the dealer is supposed to "Activate the alarm, but uncheck the "DWA" option." My guess is that unchecking the DWA option is the part that renders the motion sensor (and possibly other features) inactive. That's the part the dealer will need to turn on if you do a DIY alarm install.

There are details over at BMWnation.com under the Tech Talk Tech Glossary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts