BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2003 540i alarm goes off periodically for no obvious reason. Any clue out there as to why, how to stop it, or disconnect it so we can lock it and not have the battery go dead from this ringing when we cannot hear it.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Check the usual culprits: hood switch sensor (on left airbox under hood- the padding gives and the switch can open, this can be disconnected with no ill), fuel door actuator (fails and can set off alarm iirc), siren battery (right wheel well iirc, ages and fails to charge, voltage drop triggers the alarm).

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

·
Registered
449 Posts
On my car, disconnecting the hood sensor eliminated the random alarm activation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tks hope the disconnect works. Will update when done. We hadn't been locking it, but my daughter has the car now and must to lock it at her job site

·
Registered
449 Posts
I never lock my car at home. It took me a while to figure out why my co workers were often telling me my car alarm is "going off" at work. Then one day it occurred to me that I don't set the alarm at home, only at work. Lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts