BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

I have an European 2002 520i Touring and I'd like to install an aftermarket alarm system.
I've been told that this is not easy as some modules can stay on and ruin my battery. I've installed a few alarm on older cars which were simple and there was no problem at all, but E39 has bus system.
The car has no oem/factroy alarm, just the central lock which is not working with the remote key.

Please help me with wiring info, experience, anything!
If I manage to do it, I'll do a writeup with a lot of pictures.

Thank you! :angel:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi,

There isn't an online guide to install an aftermarket alarm system as there's so many on the market, from different brands using different technologies.

If you are experienced and confident in correctly, properly and safely installing 12V electronic systems/devices into vehicles, then purchase the alarm you want and it'll have a wiring diagram for it. You then will connect it up to the right areas of the car to make it work.

If you aren't experienced or confident, then look for a local reputable car electronics dealer installer, and have them do it.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

There isn't an online guide to install an aftermarket alarm system as there's so many on the market, from different brands using different technologies.

If you are experienced and confident in correctly, properly and safely installing 12V electronic systems/devices into vehicles, then purchase the alarm you want and it'll have a wiring diagram for it. You then will connect it up to the right areas of the car to make it work.

If you aren't experienced or confident, then look for a local reputable car electronics dealer installer, and have them do it.

Cheers, Dennis!
Hi Dennis!

The problem is that if I buy an alarm it has only a basic wiring diagram with standalone central locking or something. But E39 is much more complicated, I wanted to know if there are is anybody who installed an alarm correctly or has any experience to share. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi

I don't think you'll get much of an answer here. There are people who've installed their own alarm system and who've researched which alarm to get and who have the knowledge of car electricals to do it. Do you have those skills and experience? which alarm systems have you looked at and have a shortlist for which are compatible with the E39?

Some alarm systems are better than others, so as my initial post, you'll need to research more to see which systems suit you if you don't get much response on this thread and if you've asked this same question on another BMW forum. You might get more information on a dedicated car audio and electronics forum though.

The simple and easy way to do everything is speak to a local reputable alarm installer and have them supply, fit and guarantee the unit and their work.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

I don't think you'll get much of an answer here. There are people who've installed their own alarm system and who've researched which alarm to get and who have the knowledge of car electricals to do it. Do you have those skills and experience? which alarm systems have you looked at and have a shortlist for which are compatible with the E39?

Some alarm systems are better than others, so as my initial post, you'll need to research more to see which systems suit you if you don't get much response on this thread and if you've asked this same question on another BMW forum. You might get more information on a dedicated car audio and electronics forum though.

The simple and easy way to do everything is speak to a local reputable alarm installer and have them supply, fit and guarantee the unit and their work.

Cheers, Dennis!
Yep, this is what I want to avoid :) Also I'd like to do things myself. Do you know any alarm system which is compatible with e39? from ebay for example?

·
Registered
12,387 Posts
Most here won't be helpful because our cars came standard with 3 systems that deter theft and lock the car:
  1. EWS - immobilizing system
  2. FZV - central locking system w/remote key capability
  3. DWA - anti-theft alarm siren system

Are you certain that your 02 520iT doesn't have the wiring there to install the existing BMW system?

The DWA system's alarm is mounted behind the right rear wheel well liner...if you peek behind there...do you see the wiring for the alarm siren?

If your remote key isn't working...then adding something new on top of something not working...may not be a good idea. Have you diagnosed what may be wrong with the keyless entry function? Have you checked fuses (front & rear)? Are all locking actuators working (doors, trunk, and fuel filler flap door)? Many times, the only issue with remote central locking is that either the fuse for the fuel filler flap has blown, or the actuator for the fuel filler flap has failed and keeps blowing the fuse when it's replaced, or the bowden cable that locks the fuel filler flap is jammed and keeps blowing the fuse.

If the fuel filler flap issue is addressed (that is...if it exists)...then the remote keys can usually be reprogrammed and the remote central locking comes back on line. Or if the trunk or door actuators have an issue...once that is addressed...remote central locking comes back on line.

Another issue can be the GM III (general module) which is the main control module for FZV (central locking). Make sure that it is operating correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts