BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about what you guys think about the alarm? Is it worth it? How much more does it protect my baby ci then if I just had the clown nose activated?

If you have the alarm installed, about how much did you get it for??

·
Registered
889 Posts
I did not opt for it. I asked myself, when was the last time I saw someone (or even me for that matter) rushing to see what was going on when a car alarm was going off. The answer came out to never.

Not even sure if I'm going with Lo-jack. Need to do the insurance discount cost benefit analysis.

Unfortunately, I have PLENTY of time before my August delivery.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
I didn't get the alarm when I ordered my car. I did get all four of my wheels stolen out of my driveway while I slept. :bawling:

I now have an alarm. $225 from Circle BMW. 45 minutes to install it myself. $60 to activate while I waited. :thumb:

I am probably a bit sensitive now, but while waiting in a deli yesterday I heard a BMW alarm and did go running out. It wasn't my car and the 540 it was coming from was fine but it did attract a lot of attention. I have a feeling a leaf fell into the sunroof and tripped the motion sensor. :lmao:

·
Chewbaca is a pimp!
236 Posts
I did the same as ERK. The clown nose might fool the novice, the alarm may scare the advanced, but if someone wants your car...they will get it. I figured the alarm was a nice to have and would do the job. For under $300 (install yourself, dealer activated) it's worth it.

:thumb:

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Alarm Install

I have had my ci for 3 months about or longer w/o alarm. I hope to be in ERK's country this fall on vacation and would hate to lose my wheels and tires. Erk, when time permits how about letting us in on just how and what is involved in the installation of the alarm. My noses blinks and my dealer is kind enough to allow 15% discount to CCA members, so I should be abke t to buy the system frm my dealer at price equal to Circus. I installed my 6 CD player and Gate opener myseld with little trouble. I have never found anything pertaining to working on my BMW's easy by a long shot. First time is always a pain. Oh yes, so far my insurance company has not issued a discount for alarm. Thanks:thumb: :angel:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was asking my self the same question. I called the dealer told me that it will cost me $600 parts and labor. Talk about overcharging. I called the service department and was quoted $200 for labor. I am better off buying it at Circle BMW and intstall it my self.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Re: Alarm Install

rwebbe said:
I have had my ci for 3 months about or longer w/o alarm. I hope to be in ERK's country this fall on vacation and would hate to lose my wheels and tires. Erk, when time permits how about letting us in on just how and what is involved in the installation of the alarm.
I used the DYI posted by Cabriolet and this one: http://e46fanatics.com/faq/alarminstall/index.html.

They are about the same but offer different angles with their pics. I needed to purchase a 30 Torx driver and they can be found at most hardware or autoparts store. Plus you'll need a 6mm socket.

The whole install took under an hour and was very easy with the DYIs. The hardest part is installing the horn in the engine compartment. The wiring harness is tucked away. I am short so I had to lie across the engine and practically crawl behind the firewall to get it.

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
ERK said:
I didn't get the alarm when I ordered my car. I did get all four of my wheels stolen out of my driveway while I slept. :bawling:

I now have an alarm. $225 from Circle BMW. 45 minutes to install it myself. $60 to activate while I waited. :thumb:
and you don't have wheel locks? if they jack up or car from all 4 sides (or just front and back) at the same time, I don't think alarm would've worked either.

--Andrew

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
ayn said:

and you don't have wheel locks? if they jack up or car from all 4 sides (or just front and back) at the same time, I don't think alarm would've worked either.

--Andrew
I did get a set of wheel locks when I got the alarm! One more deterrent, esp. if the alarm's blinking clown nose don't scare 'em.

The alarm has a tilt sensor so you can't jack it up to circumvent it. I don't think it would be easy to coordinate your jackin' so as not to set things off. And the removal of the lugs would also cause some alarm tripping action.

·
Registered
817 Posts
For around $300, you can buy the alarm, install it yourself, and have the dealer activate it. Then you can stop worrying about whether or not you should install the alarm and worry about more important things like: clears or no clears, what style 18" rims, springs? swaybars? CAI? to tint or nor to tint? new exhaust? :p

·
Registered
674 Posts
I installed the alarm, at the dealer, $535. I know, its a riboff, but I donno how to do it and needed it done quick so... :tsk: :tsk:

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Maybe I should respond a little more to this question . . .I really find the alarm to be unneccessary . . .

The car already comes with remote locking & unlocking . . . what else would you need an alarm for :dunno: ;) ;)

We all know if a thief wants your car he's going to get it and if he wants your wheels, wheel locks won't help becasue htey will break them off.

The only possiblity of the alarm helping if it's a complete amateur and even then who knows :dunno:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Alan F said:
Maybe I should respond a little more to this question . . .I really find the alarm to be unneccessary . . .

The car already comes with remote locking & unlocking . . . what else would you need an alarm for :dunno: ;) ;)

We all know if a thief wants your car he's going to get it and if he wants your wheels, wheel locks won't help becasue htey will break them off.

The only possiblity of the alarm helping if it's a complete amateur and even then who knows :dunno:
Lets think of it this way, my car and your car(assuming you dont have an alarm installed), both parked in the same parking side by side. The car thief only has time to steal one car, which car will he pick?? :D :D :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Alan F said:
mine because black on black looks so damn hot ;) ;) !!!

heh heh . . . just teasing bro !!
Yours feel hot, mine looks hot =PP

BTW, im a sis!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts