BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the alarm from Circle BMW for my 325xi (presently somwhere on the Atlantic ocean).

Does anyone know if the dealership can activate an alarm -- before it's installed-- when they do the car & key configuration programing?

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
jraymond said:
I ordered the alarm from Circle BMW for my 325xi (presently somwhere on the Atlantic ocean).

Does anyone know if the dealership can activate an alarm -- before it's installed-- when they do the car & key configuration programing?
needs to be installed, then activate....its easy to install yourself too...I used to have the link showing exactly how to do it..it will save you big bucks :thumbup:

·
Touring with Traction
96 Posts
Yes, the dealer can set up the car's optional programming to tell the computer that an alarm is installed before you actually install the alarm. I just did this with my new 325XiT, so that I get the flashing "clown's nose" and the turn signal flash to verify locking even though I don't have the alarm (yet). You will have to tell the dealer whether you want just the flashing turn signal (visual) or an alarm siren chirp (audible) verification, or both when they do the setup.

Your dealer should do this at no charge as part of the delivery setup, but if you take delivery and then install the alarm yourself, and take it back to the dealer to have him program it, he will probably charge you his minimum service rate.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Activation only takes about 15 minutes. At most you'll get hit with an hours worth of labor. My dealer did it while I waited and charged me under $60. Just remember to check your key settings before you drive off. The dealers have a habit of resetting them to the defaults when they activate alarms.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'll go ahead and have the dealership program the siren chirp and the clown nose when the car arrives. Then I'll bring it home and install the alarm. I'll see if the alarm operates in any way. I have the feeling I might have to still have additional programing.

I'll post my experiences and let you all know what happens.

Thanks all!

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
jraymond said:
I guess I'll go ahead and have the dealership program the siren chirp and the clown nose when the car arrives. Then I'll bring it home and install the alarm. I'll see if the alarm operates in any way. I have the feeling I might have to still have additional programing.

I'll post my experiences and let you all know what happens.

Thanks all!
why dont you wait until you install the alarm so when they "do" activate the alarm you will know for a fact, 100% that it works like you want it too?!? jsut IMO

·
Registered
51 Posts
what works, what doesn't

You can have the dealer "activate" the alarm without having an alarm, and then install the alarm... however, all that will work is the chirping when you arm and disarm (assuming you did the install right). You'll still need to go in for real activation. At least, that was my experience.

BTW, you won't be able to test the alarm by jumping up and down on the trunk; the best test is to roll down the windows, arm it, and then wait for a while (there's a delay on the motion sensor, I don't know how much) before sticking your hand in the window.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Re: what works, what doesn't

alanra said:
You can have the dealer "activate" the alarm without having an alarm, and then install the alarm... however, all that will work is the chirping when you arm and disarm (assuming you did the install right). You'll still need to go in for real activation. At least, that was my experience.

BTW, you won't be able to test the alarm by jumping up and down on the trunk; the best test is to roll down the windows, arm it, and then wait for a while (there's a delay on the motion sensor, I don't know how much) before sticking your hand in the window.
yes, like I said..much better to wait and INSTALL first, then ACTIVATE...so you KNOW you will only have to go to the dealer once....

·
Registered
43 Posts
My dealer did it for me free, becuase during my delivery they didn't program my the key and just leave the default setting to me. The sales just give me a key memory setting sheet during the delivery and tell me just come back to do the key memory programming later. So I have the option to do the programming after I installed the alarm. If your sales don't ask you for key programming, then just don't ask for it until the delivery date.

Also you can just test the alarm, by pushing the car a bit after a min you lock the car. I got it scream once when I washing it, therefore I never lock the car during I wash it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Saving the activation fee would be nice but my bigger concern is that the nearest BMW dealership is nearly 2 hours away (not that the drive wouldn't be quite enjoyable in the new car). This means dedicating a good chunk of the day for just an alarm activation - unless the dealership can do it while I wait.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
jraymond said:
Saving the activation fee would be nice but my bigger concern is that the nearest BMW dealership is nearly 2 hours away (not that the drive wouldn't be quite enjoyable in the new car). This means dedicating a good chunk of the day for just an alarm activation - unless the dealership can do it while I wait.
There is no reason they can't do it while you wait. It's only a 15 minute job. My dealer told me to come down early one morning (no real appointment was necessary) and they did it while I waited. In and out in under and hour!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts