BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2003 330i on order (9/13 production date...Friday the 13th)
I have asked the dealer here in Seattle(where we purchased the car) how much that they would charge to program the alarm if I installed it myself. They replied that they charge $140 to install and program the alarm and if I install it myself that I would not save anything because they would still charge $140 just to program it.
I seem to remember reading that dealers charged around $50 to program the alarms.
I would like to find out how much anyone of you have been paying for programming the alarm when you installed the alarm yourself.
Thanks for your help
David

·
///Mpty pockets
1,963 Posts
Friday the 13th :eeps:

I just had my alarm programmed last week...the dealer charged $39. I don't know how they could justify $140 to activate the alarm...that's outrageous! Take it somewhere else....

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Yah, its $40 at my dealer too.

Seems kinda greedy/typical of them. They overcharge you on installation and programming, but dont reduce the price when you install it yourself :tsk:

Guess they dont wanna be losing any money on DIYs

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
it's not even 15 minutes worth of work if you factor in the time it takes for the tech to find your car and drive it into the shop.

FYI, mine was done at no charge. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
4 Posts
My cousin in Santa Barbara was quoted $550 by Cutter Motors for alarm and installation. :banghead: When she asked the service guy how long it would take to install the alarm, he said SIX HOURS. LOL

Needless to say, she has decided to have the alarm installed somewhere else. :flipoff:

·
///Mpty pockets
1,963 Posts
webracing said:
My cousin in Santa Barbara was quoted $550 by Cutter Motors for alarm and installation
My dealer wanted $600 (alarm + install). I bought the alarm (from them) and installed it myself in about 30 minutes, then had them program it, all for just under $300 total.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
alarm

I heard as high as $85 ,but not$140

·
Registered
51 Posts
david h said:
I have asked the dealer here in Seattle(where we purchased the car) how much that they would charge to program the alarm if I installed it myself. They replied that they charge $140 to install and program the alarm and if I install it myself that I would not save anything because they would still charge $140 just to program it.
I'm guessing that's BMW Seattle. I got a similar clock-cleaning for activation; it's because they charge for 1.5 hours of labor no matter what. There's some old, old post from me on this exact subject that you could look up. You might want to try BMW Bellevue or Northwest BMW down in Fife.

On the other hand, even if there's no savings, it's kinda fun to install the alarm, it gets you a little cozier with your car's innards, plus you get that nice panicked feeling when those 1/4-turn fasteners unexpectedly pop out and disappear into the depths of your $40k car :rolleyes:

--alan

·
///Mpty pockets
1,963 Posts
325xi in RI said:
my dealer is seeking $495 for the alarm and programing. Is it simple enough to do or do I need an engineering degree... Just afriad to mess things up?
Very Simple:thumbup:

It is just a 'remove and reinstall' kind of job. You just need a couple of tools (namely the Torx driver) and some patience.

Check here for a good write-up http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_Alarm.htm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.