BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2002 330CI and am looking to buy an alarm. So I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone know where I can find a good price for part #65739416520?

I have seen posts on here from a few years ago quoting prices around $200 but I cannot find it new for less than around $300.00 right now.

2. Is this alarm (factory oem kit) the one I should be getting or is there a better option?

3. Finally, my keys have buttons on them that unlock and lock the car. Does that mean that even without the alarm, the car cannot be started? If not, does the oem factory alarm include that feature?

To me, that is the most important theft deterrent as I have been told it makes your vehicle nearly unstealable unless they tow it.

· Cogito Ergo Zoom
3,626 Posts
Let me ask you this; what did you do the last ten times you heard a car alarm ? I bet you ignored it, or complained about the noise but didn't look to see if a car was actually being stolen. Noise maker car alarms do nothing to keep your car from getting stolen or even just f-ed with.

If you really want an alarm, get one that sends a signal to your smartphone. Barring that, you can have the clown nose on the rear view mirror programmed to blink when the car is locked. That will give the appearance of an alarm, which is enough to keep all but serious car thieves from messing with your car, and the serious car thieves don't care whether you have an alarm or not.

And yes, you need the appropriate key to start the car. There is an immobilizer in the ignition system, and unless it senses a signal that has been programmed to your specific car, which comes from the key, it will not start. However, once again, if a serious, professional car thief really wants your car, I'm sure they could figure a way around it, or just tow it. That's what insurance is for.

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
Does that mean that even without the alarm, the car cannot be started? If not, does the oem factory alarm include that feature?

To me, that is the most important theft deterrent as I have been told it makes your vehicle nearly unstealable unless they tow it.
Forget about buying a "noisemaker" alarm....nobody has paid any attention to them for 15 years now. The anti-theft system built into every E46, combined with a blinking clown nose (can be programmed by the dealer or a knowledgeable person with the proper software) is all you need.

· Registered
35 Posts
I also have a e46 330ci (2001) and have the clown nose but no alarm. I'm not so much interested in the "noise maker" portion of the alarm but more interested in a beep and parking lights flash when I lock and unlock my doors. Do I need to find a used factory alarm and have a BMW tech install it? What all is needed?

Let me know please.

Any help on how to achieve this would be appreciated.

· Registered
4,287 Posts
I also have a e46 330ci (2001) and have the clown nose but no alarm. I'm not so much interested in the "noise maker" portion of the alarm but more interested in a beep and parking lights flash when I lock and unlock my doors. Do I need to find a used factory alarm and have a BMW tech install it? What all is needed?

Let me know please.

Any help on how to achieve this would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure you can have your car coded to do this without the alarm being present. You can pay a ridiculous fee at the dealer to do it, or find someone with PA soft or other program that can do coding and it's a matter of checking a few check boxes on the program then hitting a button to write the change to your car.

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
No beeps without the alarm/siren being present.....why do you think the visual signal (lights flashing) is not enough ?

· Registered
35 Posts
The only reason would be because sometimes I park where I can't see my car and if I forget if I locked my door or not the Audible beep would be great. So I do not have to go outside and around the corner to see the lights flash.

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
The only reason would be because sometimes I park where I can't see my car and if I forget if I locked my door or not the Audible beep would be great. So I do not have to go outside and around the corner to see the lights flash.
Another moot point....these keyfobs don`t have the range necessary for that, even using the old "Chin Booster" technique....

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
Bob, It's only about 20 feet out the front door on the other side of a wall At my girlfriend apartment. How about just letting me know how easy it is to install a factory alarm once I find one?
How about *just looking* at the car as you`re walking away ? That would seem to be the easiest & most reliable approach....

· OOO
204 Posts
Choices:

1) Buy yourself a BMW Scanner/PA Soft scanner and activate the optical flashing on lock and unlock. This will also give you the flashing clown nose (letting you know your car is locked). If you buy the alarm components, you can activate those as well. You'll find tons of info on e46fanatics regarding the alarm components along with an easy install/coding process.

2) Search your local area for someone that can code (thousands in California), and have them turn it on for you. It will take them 2 minutes.

3) Take your car to the BMW dealership, they will tell you to bend over and give you a bill upwards of $200 to install and activate it.

· Registered
271 Posts
kbigler, first check if you are prewired for alarm (open trunk and there should be a round plastic that says prewired for alarm). If you are then go to ebay and find a siren (get the newer style) and buy a bracket if it is not included. Sirens are to be installed right at the firewall accessed through the back of the engine removing the part where you have your cabin filter towards the passenger side. The siren connector is wrapped with some other wires in there. Install it and have it coded by somebody with ncsexpert, dis, sss progman or pa soft . There are a lot of coders in your area of ca and some of them do it for free(try the e90 forum). I just installed mine and I coded it myself.

This looks like a good deal to me. I am not sure if thats for an e46 bracket included.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-BMW...t=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item19dbb10df5&vxp=mtr

and just buy the bracket online it will cost you around $20 shipped.

· Registered
35 Posts
So, I get the siren, take the car and siren to my local shop that works on BMW's and have them code everything to work? That's all I need to do to make the car beep and have the lights flash when locking and unlocking the doors?

· Registered
271 Posts
So, I get the siren, take the car and siren to my local shop that works on BMW's and have them code everything to work? That's all I need to do to make the car beep and have the lights flash when locking and unlocking the doors?
that's it. You can install the siren yourself then just have your indy shop code it. The only difference with mine is I also installed the motion and tilt sensors (got both sensors for $50 shipped).

· The Boss of Nobody
3,737 Posts
The clow nose and light flash can be programmed without the other components. Further more you can buy a pizeo siren from radio shack for about $7 and pin it into the existing connector behind the ac blower. I mounted it in the drug bin on my Xi and it worked fine. However as others have said the fob has a laughable range so as a marco polo mod it's fairly useless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.