BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully installed the full retrofit kit (P/N 65 12 0 399 635) for non-prewired cars made after 3/09. I've had a lot of pushback from local dealers and was curious if anyone had done it themselves. If you have, was it difficult to run the wire into the engine compartment and into the trunk? Was the trim relatively easy to remove? After the car was reprogrammed, did the system work properly (my dealer is convinced it will not)? Did your dealer charge you to reprogram the computer? I'm basically trying to decide if this is a worthwhile undertaking. The dealer is willing to install it for $1500, which is insane. I have a 335i sedan with premium/sport/cold weather (5/09 prod). I have the clown-nose mirror and the proper ceiling trim already installed. Please don't direct me to another thread unless it actually answers these questions. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
Try reading my response in another alarm thread here:

my alarm experience

I have found a very good solution to cars like ours with no pre-wired alarm. It is really the ONLY solution that works like factory and is not a cheap, "ghetto" aftermarket solution that some people suggest.

And as an additional note, since the installation I also had the BMW Performance Power Kit installed, which required an entire ECU reprogram. The alarm still works perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, but I'm really looking for information about installing the factory alarm. I'm not willing to take the chance of voiding any part of the warranty, and would really like to maintain the stock 'clown nose' LED. As a result, I've ruled out the RemoteKey+ and the CANBus options. It's this option or nothing.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Has anyone successfully installed the full retrofit kit (P/N 65 12 0 399 635) for non-prewired cars made after 3/09. I've had a lot of pushback from local dealers and was curious if anyone had done it themselves. If you have, was it difficult to run the wire into the engine compartment and into the trunk? Was the trim relatively easy to remove? After the car was reprogrammed, did the system work properly (my dealer is convinced it will not)? Did your dealer charge you to reprogram the computer? I'm basically trying to decide if this is a worthwhile undertaking. The dealer is willing to install it for $1500, which is insane. I have a 335i sedan with premium/sport/cold weather (5/09 prod). I have the clown-nose mirror and the proper ceiling trim already installed. Please don't direct me to another thread unless it actually answers these questions. Thanks for the help!
$1500 is not insane if they go by the 5-8.0 hours of labor, programming plus the actual retrofit kit at MSRP.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326453&highlight=alarm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With all due respect--mowing my lawn also takes 4 hours, but I'm not gonna pay someone $125/hr to do that either--esp when I have nothing to do this weekend. I'll pay for the kit to get my car to chirp/flash; I'm not gonna pay $1500 that I'll never see again at resale. So my question stands--has anybody done this who can share their experience?

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
With all due respect--mowing my lawn also takes 4 hours, but I'm not gonna pay someone $125/hr to do that either--esp when I have nothing to do this weekend. I'll pay for the kit to get my car to chirp/flash; I'm not gonna pay $1500 that I'll never see again at resale. So my question stands--has anybody done this who can share their experience?
Calm down a little and read again the link that I posted, dude... most probably the only person in the USA that have bought and installed that Euro OEM Alarm kit -the one that you are asking for- posted his experiences in that thread. You should send him a PM and talk to him; that was the point of the link. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trust me, that had occurred to me. Unfortunately the site rules wont allow you to use the PM system until you've posted a bunch. So I can't PM him. If you'd be so kind as to pm him for me and ask him to get in touch, hat would be extremely helpful. I also posted on the thread you referenced yesterday hoping to get his attention. No luck so far.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Trust me, that had occurred to me. Unfortunately the site rules wont allow you to use the PM system until you've posted a bunch. So I can't PM him. If you'd be so kind as to pm him for me and ask him to get in touch, hat would be extremely helpful. I also posted on the thread you referenced yesterday hoping to get his attention. No luck so far.
His PM inbox is full anyways, I tried to forward your questions to him to no avail...

·
Registered
29 Posts
remotekey+ will blink the LED in the clown nose as well as doing the chirp, works for me ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts