BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, sorry to open another alarm thread. I checked and couldn't find the answer I needed in any other ones.

Took my 330xi (May production) into Passport BMW today to have my self-installed alarm activated. First they said the computer was indicating a problem with the siren (maybe wrong part number - I purchased from Circle BMW). After further inspection they said everything was fine with the parts and installed perfectly fine, but that the software update was not available to load into the car. I paid for the update and was instructed that once they get it, they will load it into the car free of charge.

How can it be so close to the '07 model year and they don't have the software to activate the alarm on the '06? I know plenty of people with e90's and alarms installed. Whats going on?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
rossasis said:
First off, sorry to open another alarm thread. I checked and couldn't find the answer I needed in any other ones.

Took my 330xi (May production) into Passport BMW today to have my self-installed alarm activated. First they said the computer was indicating a problem with the siren (maybe wrong part number - I purchased from Circle BMW). After further inspection they said everything was fine with the parts and installed perfectly fine, but that the software update was not available to load into the car. I paid for the update and was instructed that once they get it, they will load it into the car free of charge.

How can it be so close to the '07 model year and they don't have the software to activate the alarm on the '06? I know plenty of people with e90's and alarms installed. Whats going on?
I suspect the software is available, just your dealer does not have it or did not have the time to deal with it. I am not sure if they get CD updates, or download online. :dunno:

I would be very, very surprised if the software is not available.

I assumed you ask them what version you have installed and what version you need installed? Otherwise the post is kind of pointless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It seems like dealer confusion on this issue is a common thread this summer. I just had the alarm installed in a June 06 325i. My car went back to the dealer 3 times for this. They insisted on changing the rear interior light which I think is a 2005 build problem. They also kept my car waiting over a weekend for a new special software CD to arrive. It finally got activated but my panic button on the key still doesn't work and I don't seem to have the tilt sensor as advertised. It seems to me like the issues are focused on mid-06 builds.

I've had some discussions on other forums which seem to indicate that we may need to wait for a new complete software update called PROGMAN 23 (according to the Technician - the software they got was not PROGMAN 23). Hopefully that will fix it. I'm finding the lack of dealer knowledge and the inability to put out a product as advertised to be very disconcerting.

Let's all keep each other posted so that we can hopefully find an answer to this. I'm really thankful for these forums, since the dealers don't always seem to know what's going on either (my dealer even told me that the panic alarm was cancelled back in the e46 models which is ridiculous since I've seen a number of other owners say that their panic alarm works fine).

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
BMW is changing the software so much, it would be hard for any dealer to keep up.

I wish they would just send me a DVD software update I can do at home with the ability to roll back if something screws up.

I would pay for a software subscription for the convenience.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
BMW is changing the software so much, it would be hard for any dealer to keep up.

I wish they would just send me a DVD software update I can do at home with the ability to roll back if something screws up.

I would pay for a software subscription for the convenience.
+1

Except, flashing a vehicle management system is not the same as flashing your laptop!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I also just ordered an '07 328XI, and was told that the alarm is not available and couldn't be included in the deal because it could be weeks or months.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2006 325i that i ordered from the factory and received it in April of this year.
I bought the alarm for my car from the parts dept. as an accessory(dealer installed it).So far the only visible indication that the alarm is on is the flashing red light on the rear view mirror.No audible indication.
I tried the panic procedure on my FOB but nothing happens. Also, when I set the alarm by pushing the lock(middle button)there is no audible noise like the horn.
I have often questioned if this thing is working at all. The dealer had also replaced(when they installed it) my dome light with a new one that is supposed to work with the alarm by sensing intrusion into the car.Funny thing is that with the windows open and the alarm on, the service manager put his hand in and nothing happened. When he opened the door from the inside the alarm went off. I can't help thinking that something is still missing with the whole set up.No panic alarm????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts