BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Alarm system 335 I

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  hamadani 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 2009 335 I Cabriolet....Alpine White very sharp (traded in the 2006 Z4). What I don't understand is that the 2009 model does not come with the alarm as standard equipment (I thought it did). Is that not insane? This is a $75,000 car in Canada you would think the alarm would be standard (it is for 2010). Is this the same with the US model?

#3 · (Edited)
My 328i is "pre-wired" for an alarm. Its MSRP was $42k and change. For a vehicle in that price range, I expected a fully functional alarm. :tsk:

If anyone does manage to steal my vehicle, BMW Assist will be able to track down its whereabouts.

#4 ·
I had the BMW alarm system installed by the dealer after purchase of my 335i convertible. One anomaly. The feature that detects someone reaching inside the vehicle does NOT work. I have read that when the dealer does the installation this feature does not work. Anyone had a similar experience.

#8 ·
It's because you have a convertible...In fixed roof models, the motion sensor is located on the celling and since we have convertible roofs, we don't have the motion sensor.

#7 ·
Yes. Pretty bad for a "luxury" car not to come with a functioning alarm.

My car is "pre-wired" for an alarm. Yippee!!! :tsk:

#9 ·
Believe it or not the sales manager thought the alarm was standard until he spoke to the service manager who said it was a dealer installed optioned. The car is pre-wired....he's going to look into it, maybe install it at his cost. Interesting that the 2010 models come with the alarm as standard...I guess this is how they upgrade the vehicle every year (add something new) charge an extra $1,500 + for a $400 option.......hmmm.

Anyway been driving it for about 5 days.......M6 amazing car !! No complaints !!

#10 ·
Hey all, Newby here. I just got a 2006 330Ci Convertible. I thought it had an alarm system as it had a BIG flashing red light under the inside rear view mirror. Turns out that I was wrong and the dealer wants $795.00 to install the alarm system. Reading through the forum here, I discovered that the feature I most wanted...interior motion sensor...is not in the system for the convertible. I am really bummed. Guess I should have gone with a Mercedes. Anybody have any suggestions for an Aftermarket system, please post. Thanks Jack

#11 ·
I was told when I bought the car that the alarm was standard equipment only to find out the SA Lied of course. Then I was told by the same SA that it was not a problem because they could install it aftermarket when it arrived - lied to again. My car was not even pre-wired for it :( unless it was ordered from the factory. I was also told that the vert did in fact have the motion sensor but that it was placed in a different location because it was a vert. I have no idea if that was a lie too or not because I could not have it installed on the car to find out.

I am pretty sure that BMW got enough complaints about this stupid mistake that that is why they made it standard on the 2010. From all of the discussiuons that I had with BMW NA it seemed that they had realized what a HUGE mistake they made in having it as an option on a luxury car when the cheapest of cars made have it as a standard feature. No car that I have ever owned has not had an alarm until this one. And this is the most expensive car I have ever bought.

Short answer is it depends on what your build date is as to whether or not your car is pre-wired for it. If mine was I would get it done in a heart beat - but I am kind of freaky about alarms. I love them they make me feel better whether or not they actually do any good. I know I have BMW Assist to track the car and I have LoJack on top of that and if I could have the alarm I would have it too. I am VERY mad at my sales guy for misleading me on this decision. But I am very happy with the car other than that.

As you can tell this was a HOT BUTTON for me. Sorry for the rant but I hope the info helps you some.

#14 ·
Agreed. I too have BMW Assist and also had LoJack installed as well. I have an appointment on Saturday to get the alarm installed in my car (its an 11/08 build, so it is still pre-wired) and the SA was 100% sure that my car already had an alarm and wanted to know why I wanted another alarm installed. Well, DUH!!! :tsk: Even Kias have alarms in their cars...sheesh!! :dunno:

#12 ·
At the same time..when anyone hears an alarm..question: what is your first response?
a) call 911, someone is stealing a car!!!
b)*&(^&% another freaking car alarm somebody shoot the owner!
c)did a Harley just motor by?

#13 ·
:thumbup:
EXactly!
Unless you hear your own alarm outside your home,
it is of minor consequence..my insurance company offers no incentive at all.
They do for the BMW assist..key etc..ymmv!
Cheers

#15 ·
Car alarms are so pathetically ineffective that I am not upset at all it is not included in my vehicle, though mine came pre-wired with the clown nose and all.

If the system is actually an immobilizer, silent alarm, or otherwise more effective system that provides tracking it wouldn't be free in the first place.

If you want, I can sell you a useless siren for $50 that goes off every time someone next to you slams their car door shut.

#17 ·
I agree. I paid for it as an option, but honestly, there is very little gain with the alarm over the existing security features of the car. My apologies for those who received bad info and to those that expect an alarm, but it seems rather pointless to me. IMHO.

Now if the alarm had a remote start, activated by an iPhone app....now that would be cool, but I see zero reason to install aftermarket.

So again, IMHO, it's just a noisemaker which everyone ignores anyway.

#16 ·
How does that immobilizer work when they winch your car up on a flat bed or smash your window to steal the stereo? ;)
Exactly. :) The immobilizer is good for actually preventing theft of the vehicle, since it should ideally render the car useless but that doesn't mean they won't smash the heck out of it and steal all your stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.