BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! It's been bugging me for weeks now, but it suddenly dawned on me, I don't know if my 2014 X1 has an alarm system on it. When I ordered it, I wasn't given the option to upgrade to a 'premium' alarm system.

My 2014 X1 28 xDrive has the red light indicator located beneath the rear-view mirror and a panic button on the remote access key fob. The car was ordered with the 'Ultimate Package' so I just assumed it came with it, but now am not so sure.

I commute for work, and keep my laptop along with expensive electronics in my car wherever I go. If there were any vulnerabilities to break-ins on my X1 I would definitely want to know about it!

The most I can determine is that the 2013 and older models may have been given the optional upgrade while the 2014 model may have already come stock. By experience first-hand, can anyone shed light on this???

·
Northern BMW Fan
595 Posts
If the bulb thing under your rear view mirror is red plastic then you have the alarm. Also I believe it's supposed to occasionally flash red when armed.

But keep in mind that the likelihood of a break in has nothing to do with the car's alarm and everything to do with the neighborhood and what the thieves can see when looking inside the vehicle. The alarm will only do one thing: make them run faster.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Can you test it?
Will the alarm go off if you open the door while the car is locked and armed?
Roll down the window. Lock the car, reach in and open the car handle twice.
Does the alarm go off?
Not sure if this would be a valid test. I don't have the alarm on mine. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have 2013 x1 35i with Msport that I seemingly thought was fully loaded. I do have a red bulb on rear view mirror but when locking/unlocking vehicle the car does not make any audible noises and red bulb does not periodically flash.

When in idrive settings, there is an option for car to make audible tone when locking/unlocking but when choosing this nothing happened and box remain unchecked.

During regular maintenance at the dealer I asked them to investigate and it turns out the car actually doesn't have an alarm... This was hard to believe because the car is otherwise loaded and I guess I assumed this was standard equipment.

So if that red bulb on rear view mirror doesn't flash when car is locked and you can't change the option to produce a tone when locking/unlocking than you likely don't have an alarm !

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
I have 2013 x1 35i with Msport
Strange...my '13 35i M definitely has it. And mine's missing PDC/rear camera, and whatever allows for visor mirror lamps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great responses. Yes, there is the red blinking light located underneath the rear-view mirror. I have tested it and have verified that there is an alarm system. I think my CO misspoke when commenting on the alarm system, possibly mixing up year models. It just seemed like he implied there was a better alarm system that I didn't order and the alarm system on mine was too basic to prevent break-ins.

·
Registered
16 Posts
... It just seemed like he implied there was a better alarm system that I didn't order and the alarm system on mine was too basic to prevent break-ins.
Not sure if serious?! An alarm system is just that - ALARM system. It doesn't activate bullet proof armoring when activated. There's no different alarm systems on same model BMW.

Different countries have different standard options. In US the alarm was standard for X1 E84.

All mirrors with auto dimming function and remote opener have "clown" nose which on the LCI model is black, just the bulb inside if present is red. If it is blinking then the car is alarm equipped.

Another indicator of alarm equipped car is the audible indicator of locking and unlocking the car. However the missing of that doesn't necessary mean an alarm is missing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts