BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Alignment question

1218 Views 10 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  CALWATERBOY
I own a 2011 328i coupe w/ standard sport suspension.

Does anyone know if the camber of the front wheels can be adjusted without using after-market parts? Is the camber non-adjustable?
Thanks all,
Jeff
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Toe is entirely adjustable - research: tie rods.

Camber is mildly adjustable if you remove the pin. SEARCH this site and the net for the secret to your success!

Extensive Camber adj w/plates.

Castor not adjustable w/o plates w/that capability.

Emoticon Cartoon Yellow Smiley Smile
I own a 2011 328i coupe w/ standard sport suspension.

Does anyone know if the camber of the front wheels can be adjusted without using after-market parts? Is the camber non-adjustable?
Thanks all,
Jeff
I searched the net and got different information depending on the model of the car.

Camber is mildly adjustable if you remove the pin. SEARCH the site and the net for the secret to your success!

View attachment 339575
Also searched this site and didn't see anything specific to my model.
Anyway, thanks for the information.

Camber is mildly adjustable if you remove the pin. SEARCH this site and the net for the secret to your success!

View attachment 339575
OK, start here .

If your concern is racing, you'll want plates after a number of other mods.

If you're experiencing odd tire wear, look to your bushings - stock are rubber.
I searched the net and got different information depending on the model of the car.
Front end pin applies to all, possibly excepting xDrive. Ditto bushing wear changing alignment.

Have no info on xDrive....
Also searched this site and didn't see anything specific to my model.
Anyway, thanks for the information.
Thank you...that's very helpful.
OK, start here .

If your concern is racing, you'll want plates after a number of other mods.

If you're experiencing odd tire wear, look to your bushings - stock are rubber.
Will be swapping out the stock dampers for the Koni FDS's. I understand that the car should be re-aligned, so I have 2 choices:
1. Dealership w/ fancy-schmancy alignment thingy with laser and printout.
2. Indy, specializing in alignments in my area for over 37 yrs. with great reputation. No printout, no laser (except for toe adjustment), uses bubble levels. Will put me or associate in driver's seat to compensate (I'm a pretty big guy!).

Prices are within $30 of each other so that's not an issue.

When I went to Indy shop to talk about alignment, he said my car does not have front wheel camber adjustment. I though i read that it did....so I did my searches.

In any event, I want a slightly "aggressive" stance since I'm a spirited driver and take part in a few HPDE's a year (no serious racing).

Hence my original question.

Thanks again for helping out,
Jeff
Installed eibach springs last week and took it a sears that had the new hunter machines. They did a good job. No longer pulls and goes very straight. The rear was completely off the charts, but the front was good. They adjusted the steering angle and toes for the front, but did not touch the camber. My guess is that it is not adjustable and since they didnt adjust it to 0 and it was within specs (-.8, -.9(red) deg) I am just going to leave it.
Dealer's Kinematic machine is, in a word, excellent. For $30, take it there and they'll put the proper weights where they should be for precision.

Here - apparently - is a procedural Kinematic printout from a BMW CD.
Will be swapping out the stock dampers for the Koni FDS's. I understand that the car should be re-aligned, so I have 2 choices:
1. Dealership w/ fancy-schmancy alignment thingy with laser and printout.
2. Indy, specializing in alignments in my area for over 37 yrs. with great reputation. No printout, no laser (except for toe adjustment), uses bubble levels. Will put me or associate in driver's seat to compensate (I'm a pretty big guy!).

Prices are within $30 of each other so that's not an issue.

When I went to Indy shop to talk about alignment, he said my car does not have front wheel camber adjustment. I though i read that it did....so I did my searches.

In any event, I want a slightly "aggressive" stance since I'm a spirited driver and take part in a few HPDE's a year (no serious racing).
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.