BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

bought last week a 2014 550i xDrive and realized that all 4 brakes get with normal driving in the city - meaning no high speeds and no hard braking - really hot.

I drove today 2 miles home from the city - arrived in the garage and the brakes where so hot that I could not touch them. ACC was not on the whole ride today.

I realized as well that the car slows unusually fast down as soon as I get of the pedal - not the normal rolling out feeling when you just go off the pedal - a feeling as either the transmission or the brakes slow the car down.

Has anybody else seen this on an F10?

Thanks for any ideas what that could be.

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
832 Posts
Tons of info on Google, like this;

“During normal street use, brake rotors and pads normally won’t see temperatures climb past 200 degrees Celsius, or 392 degrees Fahrenheit. However, track days are a different story, with temperatures potentially reaching 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit as the brakes are called upon more often and more aggressively.

We suppose if there’s one very simple thing to take away from this video it’s this: don’t touch your brake rotors after use. Your fingerprints will thank you later.”

If you are worried that the brakes are “dragging” put the Car in N and let it coast to take the Motor Braking and Eco Pro charging out of the equation.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Yea brakes get hot - fast. Just not track day hot.

As for the coasting, the BMWs ive owned havent really coasted like other cars. They downshift faster, reducing your speed quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - will check with coasting in N and see if it still deaccellerates to fast

·
Registered
10,709 Posts
I coast by pushing in the clutch and putting the gear shift in neutral. Part of my hyper-mile-ing technique is to coast down a big bridge that separates where I live from the next town. New BMW's have super-efficient wheel bearings. My manual-transmission Cobalt maintains it's speed (~50 MPH) coming down the bridge. My 535i speeds up (~50 MPH to ~55 MPH) coming down the bridge.

Brake life, and therefore temperature, have a lot to do with behavior. If I see a line of cars stopped ahead at a red light, I let off the gas and start either engine braking or coasting. I see a lot of people who are either under power or under braking, never neither. They often get pissed at me when I'm coasting. They'll pass me under power and then have to romp on the brakes because of all the stopped cars in front of them. My first BMW still had the original brakes at 115k miles when I sold it, and it still had plenty of pad left front and back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 getting pissed about you :rofl:
Buying BMWs since decades to drive and not to crawl :thumbup:
I have no Stick - have the automatic 8 gear trans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts