Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was raining this morning for my run group at the SCCA autox at FedEx. Everyone was saying how happy they were that classes run together. Seeing how the rain has stopped now and the afternoon groups are prolly just starting, its probably a good thing. :) There were lots of no shows, maybe 20% in the morning groups. I suspect that the afternoon session will have more cars.

My dad rode as a passenger for my first three runs. Before the fourth, the rain had let up to heavy drizzle, so he felt safe enough to get out of the car :rolleyes: My first run was typical ugliness at a 59ish something with a nearly missed gate. Next was a 54.something, third a 53.something, fourth a 52.406. When I made my last run, the announcer said that I was 7th (out of ?) in DS.

There was LOTS of water on the track for the first run and each run seemed to be a little bit better as the rain had lightened up quite a bit. The course started off with a 100' skid pad that we went around once. What made it very interesting, was that the circle is on a slope. It was a blast feeling the blance shift at the uphill/downhill and downhill/uphill transitions. I wish that we had been able to go around twice. At the top of the course there was a decreasing length five cone slalom. The last hole was 1/2 the length of the first hole. A lot of people had fits with that. I fishtailed a little on my third run and quite a bit on my fourth (which along with the improvements in my times makes me wonder where else on the course I made up for it). Overall, it was a much more satisfying course than the one we ran there two weeks ago.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
I skipped it today (despite having already paid the thirty bucks). I had too much other stuff to do to make the idea of standing out in the rain for three hours very attractive, especially since my right rear tire was so worn it was like a racing slick, except without the grip. So, instead, I spent two hours at NTB having new tires mounted. :banghead:

Good to hear it was a better course than two weeks ago; that course last time was no fun at all. To tell you the truth, though, the bloom is sort of off the rose for me and autocrossing. No matter how much time/money I spend, I'll never be competitive, because of the way the cars are classed. I was doing better last year, in terms of the points standings, despite the fact that I wasn't as good, just because the 323 did better in PAX results.

Moreover, now that I sort of half know what I'm doing, it's not as much fun as it used to be--I never used to stress about lap times, but now I get upset if I screw up. I have too many annoying things at work to get annoyed by my hobby.

Not to mention the threat posed by killer Porsches.

So, I think I'll do the BMW club events, but I doubt I'll do any more SCCA or other events. The icing on the cake for me is the pre-pay system; I HATE the fact that you're out the cash even if you cannot attend at the last minute.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: All (auto)crossed up in the rain

JST said:
To tell you the truth, though, the bloom is sort of off the rose for me and autocrossing. No matter how much time/money I spend, I'll never be competitive, because of the way the cars are classed. I was doing better last year, in terms of the points standings, despite the fact that I wasn't as good, just because the 323 did better in PAX results.

Moreover, now that I sort of half know what I'm doing, it's not as much fun as it used to be--I never used to stress about lap times, but now I get upset if I screw up. I have too many annoying things at work to get annoyed by my hobby.
I know what you're saying and see my thoughts matching yours in another year or so if I stick with the wagon. I don't think that my wagon should be in the same class as 330s and 328s. That's okay with me for now though as I don't htink I would be too much faster in one of them. In seeing what the rest of D Stock cars were doing today without their R tires, I feel a lot more like Pinecone about the wisdom of allowing R comps in the stock classes. To me, Stock should mean how it came from the factory in terms of anything directly affecting performance in a measurable way for most people. Until i feel that if I was driving another car I'd be finishing at/near the top of the class it won't matter all that much to me. I think that's where you are today though.

Still, what I'd like to do is get something old and cheap that a bunch of other people are running (e30, miata, first gen rx7, etc) with lots of readily available, cheap and effective parts. We'll see how I feel next year.

The icing on the cake for me is the pre-pay system; I HATE the fact that you're out the cash even if you cannot attend at the last minute.
That does suck.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
WOW JST's thoughts are almost exactly the same as mine!

I skipped it today (despite having already paid the thirty bucks). I had too much other stuff to do to make the idea of standing out in the rain for three hours very attractive, especially since my right foot is still recovering from surgery.

Good to hear it was a better course than two weeks ago; that course last time was no fun at all. To tell you the truth, though, the bloom is sort of off the rose for me and autocrossing.

Not to mention the threat posed by killer Porsches.

So, I think I'll do the BMW club events, but I doubt I'll do any more SCCA or other events. The icing on the cake for me is the pre-pay system; I HATE the fact that you're out the cash even if you cannot attend at the last minute.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts