BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Whilst searching for a solution to a problem with my convertible hood, I stumbled across another thread regarding the all windows down button. My question is, should that particular button make all of the windows go up as well? I've only had the car for a year and it's never worked in that time period so i'm unsure whether or not it's supposed to work! I'm in the UK if that makes any difference (on UK safety laws differing etc). When the windows are fully up, I can hear a click when I pull up each individual window switch, but no click when I pull the all window up switch.

If it is supposed to make the windows go up, is the fix as easy as replacing the switch module?

Also, before I get flamed, I've already searched for an answer but couldn't find a definitive one!!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
98 Posts
The switch should make all the windows go up and down. I recently broke :( that button in my car and found the part for $45 (USD) online. Taking apart the console doesn't seem to hard (I drive a manual, not sure if you do) as I can access things from the shifter area. Try swapping out the switch if you can find it for a good price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I thought as much - shame I hadn't spotted it earlier and took it for granted that it was only supposed to go down. Do you know how I can find a part number for this? I went onto realoem.com but the part shown in the diagram doesn't look like the right part for my car! http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/q/g/20.png

I've already taken the switch out previously to clean it. It's an easier job than I thought...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Before replacing any parts are your windows synced?
After disconnecting the battery you need to sync the windows or else they won't go up with that button.
How do you know if they are synced or not - easy if the one-touch up function on both front windows work they are. (Thats how I understand it).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Before replacing any parts are your windows synced?
After disconnecting the battery you need to sync the windows or else they won't go up with that button.
How do you know if they are synced or not - easy if the one-touch up function on both front windows work they are. (Thats how I understand it).
Good call Johan! I didn't know about the syncing. I know for fact that I broke my switch, so that's why I'm replacing mine. :-/ Next time I'll let go if the button before its limit. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just called my local dealer and they told me that my car doesn't support the all windows up feature. Am I being fed false information from them?? If not, is there a way that I can have this feature enabled? The guy on the phone said there wasn't...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ahhh, now I just spoke to another dealer and he said that it is supposed to go up! I'm so confused!! Sorry for the multiple postings btw, I just figured out how to use the edit feature!

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Ahhh, now I just spoke to another dealer and he said that it is supposed to go up! I'm so confused!! Sorry for the multiple postings btw, I just figured out how to use the edit feature!
This switch on my GF's 2000 323Cic performs both up and down. I haven't come across an E46 convertible where this switch only rolls the windows down. You may want to try the re-sync as suggested above. While I have no direct knowledge of the re-sync itself the procedure to restore the express (one touch) up / down is as follows:

1. Pull the window switch up but not past the point of resistance where express up would be engaged.
  2. Once the window is fully up continue to hold the switch for approximately six seconds. Do not pull the switch past the point of resistance. You may hear the control module click but I'm told it's very faint.
  3. Repeat the process for setting the express down except you push down instead of up on the window switch.
  4. Test.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, quick question - am I pulling the all window switch up, or just a single window (drivers side front, etc)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys, I tried this just now and it hasn't resolved the issue. Here's the situation and what i've tried:

1) The auto up for both the front windows work so not sure if the windows are out of sync in the first place
2) Put the key in position 1 and put the drivers window all the way down all the way then pull the window all the way up and held it there for 10 secs. I repeated this with each window individually. I then returned the key to position 0.
3) no 2 failed so I repeated it but with the key in position 2 instead.

Is there anything else that I'm missing? Or shall I just take a chance and buy a new switch?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2005 330 CIC and had the same problem after chaning the battery. It is probably not the switch. It's the Syncing. Regardless of what the dealer or manual says to do I had to fiddle with them for about 15 minutes, doing is over and over again. Then, pressto! They all worked just fine. All BMW Convertibles (I think) allow the windows to go both up and down when the windows are synced. If you put the top up or down and just keep holding the top control switch the windows go all the way up. The all window switch however will not put all windows up in a one touch mode. They will go down with one touch. You have to hold the switch, unlike the two side windows that will go all the way up with one touch feature. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi davecpa, The top up/windows up and top down/windows down works as you described. The all windows down works with one touch, but the all windows up doesn't work with one touch or just by holding it. Does it still need to be synced??

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
None of the windows go up if I hold that button (no noises or anything that I can hear)
If you're handy with basic electronics it shouldn't be too difficult to test the switch with a multimeter. If you're not you might see if you can find someone who wouldn't mind letting you swap out their switch assembly to test.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts