BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PBG3IelKpg

The BMW 530e iPerformance is a special model of the all-new BMW 5 Series. In this clip you'll learn all you need to know about the plug-in hybrid version. The combination of the BMW eDrive electric drive concept and a four-cylinder petrol engine produces extremely low emissions and represents an ideal vehicle for everyday commuting, but also for long distances

BMW Explained: What is BMW iPerformance?

The 2017 5 Series is an entirely new vehicle built from the ground up to be launched in 2017. Based on the CLAR platform that underpins the 7 Series the new 5 is the most advanced 5 series ever build. BMW breaks down the visual and functional details that make the 2017 5 Series unique in the luxury sedan market.

Read more about the 2017 BMW 5 Series (G30)

·
Super Moderator
7,082 Posts
I was really looking forward to the 530e, but less excited about the 250hp.
My xdrive40e take 6-8 hours to charge on level 1. I wonder what improved to allow 3-4 hours for the 5-series.

·
cor door sedan
1,161 Posts
My xdrive40e take 6-8 hours to charge on level 1. I wonder what improved to allow 3-4 hours for the 5-series.
Smaller battery and probably 3-4 hours for 80% charge whereas you are probably quoting 6-8 for 100% charge.

Can't charge faster than you can pull amps. Usually 32 amps (since most 110's are 40 amp circuits unless a good electrician did the electrical in your house, in which case you have 50 amp circuits so 40 amp draw).

BMW can't get around this.

·
Super Moderator
7,082 Posts
Smaller battery and probably 3-4 hours for 80% charge whereas you are probably quoting 6-8 for 100% charge.

Can't charge faster than you can pull amps. Usually 32 amps (since most 110's are 40 amp circuits unless a good electrician did the electrical in your house, in which case you have 50 amp circuits so 40 amp draw).

The level 2 charger does it 3-4. But, yes, 6-8 hours on level 1 for 100% charge. I only get 22 miles on pure electric, so it does not make much sense to partially charge.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Remember this was filmed in Europe and he is giving a lot of data that pertains to Europe only.

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts

QFT.

I can tell you with my i3, it used to take 12-14 hrs to get a full charge when plugged into a traditional wall socket (<=12A of draw). When we built a new house, I had a 50A circuit run into the garage and put a charger there. Resulted in an empty -> full charging time of <3hrs.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Over here emissions are heavily taxed. The plugin hybrid makes a lot of sense to me.

I have test driven the 330e and was very pleased with how it drove, especially the added comfort the electric take off from standstill, without having to wait for the engine to be started.

I know in the US you are not too much looking out for info about the Touring, but does any of you have come across a hint if the 530e might become available as a Touring?

·
Registered
617 Posts
My issue is its only RWD. I think previous hybrids were AWD. With my driveway RWD is not an option. Between this and the lack of a diesel I may be forced to leave BMW next year.

·
Registered
242 Posts
What is the release date for 530e?

I believe there will be federal rebate on 530e similarly they are doing on X5 40e.

I'm turning in my 2015 X5 next year and will be looking at both X5 40e + 530e. I already have 50A-L2 charger that I installed myself at home. was driving leaf 3 years ago.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
My issue is its only RWD. I think previous hybrids were AWD. With my driveway RWD is not an option. Between this and the lack of a diesel I may be forced to leave BMW next year.
Diesel is definiately coming, possibly more then one engine.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
People were having problems with the Active 7 Hybrid. It would cost them well over $10000 to replace the whole battery. I think it was over $10000 for the battery alone!! and this is just at around 100000km. My 7 doesn't like to run eco pro all the time as I get symptoms of a "bad battery". After disconnecting the negative as the KOMBI and other equipment "froze" I never really ran eco pro since.

The problems when running all electric are costly. With the Prius, I heard they get 600,000mi no problem. If you want a hybrid just do not buy BMW.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Europe tends to have 220-240vac for their plug-in, supplied with the car EVSE...the USA uses 120vac EVSE that comes with the car...power=volts*amps, so even at the same amps, it should be easy to see why it will take longer in the USA to recharge any EV if you try to use the supplied EVSE verses a commercial or level 2 unit you choose to install at your home and that same vehicle used in Europe.

·
Super Moderator
7,082 Posts
QFT.

I can tell you with my i3, it used to take 12-14 hrs to get a full charge when plugged into a traditional wall socket (<=12A of draw). When we built a new house, I had a 50A circuit run into the garage and put a charger there. Resulted in an empty -> full charging time of <3hrs.
Europe tends to have 220-240vac for their plug-in, supplied with the car EVSE...the USA uses 120vac EVSE that comes with the car...power=volts*amps, so even at the same amps, it should be easy to see why it will take longer in the USA to recharge any EV if you try to use the supplied EVSE verses a commercial or level 2 unit you choose to install at your home and that same vehicle used in Europe.
It make sense, without question, to put in a dedicated circuit with adequate amperes and upgraded level 2 charger. But, I think jadnashuanh has it right when using the same level 1 charger on two different country grids.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
The BMW 530e looks underwhelming. I am interested however I will likely pass.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I have a 330e and generally love it. I find it disappointing that BMW is using the same engine combo for the 5 series that it used for the 3 series. I would have expected that it would have used a bigger combo like the one in the X5. I had two Prius autos before my BMW and what I liked about the BMW is that it is a performance plug in. But it appears that BMW may be making the same decisions as GM (Volt) and Toyota (Prius) of keeping the engine relatively small (albeit twice the horsepower and torque of a Prius) and thereby making it less appealing to those of us who want to drive a clean auto but still have a performance machine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts