Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BMW ****ie
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 151,000 miles on my 2002 530i. A few weeks ago my sunroof stopped tilting up. I read this is a common issue over time. Other than that there are no leaks and the sunroof looks evenly closed.

Two weeks ago I had to attend a meeting in Folsom CA. So I drove my baby from Silicon Valley to Sacramento and back. It was about a two and a half hour trip each way.

She performed flawlessly. The ride was comfortable. The engine purred like a lion. The automatic tranny shifted smooth as butter.

I owe these maintenance-free trips to the members in Bimmerfest. I have no apprehension with jumping in my car and driving from California to Florida if needed.

The pros here rock!!! Put in the work. Put in the money. It will pay off in the end.

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts
I currently have 151,000 miles on my 2002 530i. A few weeks ago my sunroof stopped tilting up. I read this is a common issue over time. Other than that there are no leaks and the sunroof looks evenly closed.

Two weeks ago I had to attend a meeting in Folsom CA. So I drove my baby from Silicon Valley to Sacramento and back. It was about a two and a half hour trip each way.

She performed flawlessly. The ride was comfortable. The engine purred like a lion. The automatic tranny shifted smooth as butter.

I owe these maintenance-free trips to the members in Bimmerfest. I have no apprehension with jumping in my car and driving from California to Florida if needed.

The pros here rock!!! Put in the work. Put in the money. It will pay off in the end.
Sunroof repair is a complete PITA. I don’t wish it on anyone.

·
Under the lift arms
12,946 Posts
Im in for a sunroof repair,

I just have to want to take the head liner down enough to do it

·
Registered
3,927 Posts

Nice! mine is at 195K and even with the S/C I can can vow for these cars, they are awesome for sure.
With that's said I'm loosing coolant and there's no trace of where the leak is.
It's too cold to work on it now. Just have to fill it once awhile.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Nothing wrong? You must be bored to death!

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 750 just recently developed the 'tilt' issue. Least of its issues. My 540 is probably the least reliable car I've ever owned, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Special cars, these E39s

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Nice! mine is at 195K and even with the S/C I can can vow for these cars, they are awesome for sure.
With that's said I'm loosing coolant and there's no trace of where the leak is.
It's too cold to work on it now. Just have to fill it once awhile.:thumbup:
Have the 2 plastic coolant pipes under the intake manifold been replaced yet ?

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts
Have the 2 plastic coolant pipes under the intake manifold been replaced yet ?
+1. Common, nearly invisible source of coolant leaks on high mileage/old M54s. As Jason knows well ;)

·
Registered
12,721 Posts

Sounds like a great ride!:thumbup:

Was the car owned since day one? What have been the repairs that bring the car to 151k?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
No, but thanks for the heads up Jason.
Trust me...
You NEED to replace them ASAP !!!!
Ask me how I know... :(
The ends of the pipes disintegrate at the engine head connection.
Send me a PM, and I will text you the photos of the turmoil I am going through...

I could tell mine had been leaking for a while, because there was significant build-up of dried coolant crud under the pipes , on the engine head.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Trust me...
You NEED to replace them ASAP !!!!
Ask me how I know... :(
The ends of the pipes disintegrate at the engine head connection.
Send me a PM, and I will text you the photos of the turmoil I am going through...

I could tell mine had been leaking for a while, because there was significant build-up of dried coolant crud under the pipes , on the engine head.
Jason. I believe you. But it's too damn cold. I retired my car for the Winter. I'm rocking my new X5 35D and loving it.

I'll fix it in the Spring. But, thank you though.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts

Saw this and thought I would respond since I haven't looked in on B'fest or posted in ages. My car only has 139K but is still running great. Haven't wrenched on her in months (a good thing, I guess). Good to see some familiar names are still here. Happy holidays to all! :thumbup:

·
Registered
488 Posts

don't jink it brother...

·
Registered
4,542 Posts

Good to hear from you my friend and glad it's all going well. Same here, love this car and thanks go out to you for finding it for me!

I purposefully don't use my sunroof much for fear of it failing and knowing it's expensive or a PIA to DIY. If Nate says it's a bitch, it's got to be REALLY hard.

·
BMW ****ie
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nothing wrong? You must be bored to death!
:rofl:

Saw this and thought I would respond since I haven't looked in on B'fest or posted in ages. My car only has 139K but is still running great. Haven't wrenched on her in months (a good thing, I guess). Good to see some familiar names are still here. Happy holidays to all! :thumbup:
Fudman!!! Great to see you. There's a whole new generation of owners.

Good to hear from you my friend and glad it's all going well. Same here, love this car and thanks go out to you for finding it for me!

I purposefully don't use my sunroof much for fear of it failing and knowing it's expensive or a PIA to DIY. If Nate says it's a bitch, it's got to be REALLY hard.
Agreed. One day I intend to pay for the fix, probably next summer. I'm guessing $400 - $600 :dunno:

Sounds like a great ride!:thumbup:

Was the car owned since day one? What have been the repairs that bring the car to 151k?
Purchased at 90k. Currently at 117k. Costs for upkeep thus far (below)
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732909

2002 E39, SP, PP, CWP (P=package). Black interior/exterior
Asking price $13,000 - Purchase price ~ $9500 @ ~90,100 miles (July 2011)

Work so far in chronological order (July 2011 - Nov 2013) :

New tires - DWS Continentals ($687.28) Discount Tire
Breather Hose issue ($270.81) Indy
New Key ($156.69) Dealer. note: normally $208
Auto detail interior/exterior (~$170) (optional)
Spark plug change (~$50) DIY
AUX jack install (~$60) DIY. Includes cost of panel pulling tools (optional)
Valve Cover Gasket ($224) Indy. note: I saw a bit of oil on #6 plug months ago so had gasket replaced during radiator change.
New Expansion Tank and associated tests ($257.60) Indy
Coolant with radiator change ($56.00)
Oil Filter housing gasket at block and associated parts ($470.40) Indy
Oil change -($96.80) dealer
Purchased magnetic drain plug ($34.95) note: Dealer installed during oil change.
Rock chip windshield repair (~$60)
Front break pads/rotors (~$350) DIY. HAWK Ceramic pads. Performance rotors.
Brake line flush (~$90) DIY. Purchased small air compressor for this
Rear pads/rotors (~$450) Indy. Includes HAWKs Ceramic pads and performance rotors
Trial and Error parts/gadgets + speciality tools (~$200)

Total - approx. $3685 (some of which was optional and normal recurring upkeep)

Since then (118k - 151K) . . .

VCG ~ $350
AT Torque Converter ~ $2000 (avoidable if you change your AT fluid)
Radiator ~ $1000
BavSound Stage 1 Speaker Upgrade + JL Wedge SubWoofer $600 (DIY) (optional)
Water pump, thermostat, hoses, belt ~ $300 (preventive maitenance)
KONI FSD dampers (aka struts), related parts - $1900 (optional)
DINAN Tune - $200 (currently down to $100) (optional)
VANOS + anti-rattle kit ~ $700 (optional)
M5 Rear Sway Bar + installation - $275 (optional)

Total - $6275 (of that $3275 was optional and $2000 avoidable had I changed the AT fluid at purchase)

·
Gearhead
1,123 Posts
Jason. I believe you. But it's too damn cold. I retired my car for the Winter. I'm rocking my new X5 35D and loving it.

I'll fix it in the Spring. But, thank you though.
:D hang in there alex...spring will come around in no time.
x5 35d, eh? sweet machine!

·
Under the lift arms
12,946 Posts
the 35D is the sweetest bmw truck ive even been in

i wanted one so bad.. and my mechanic friend talked me out of..

a lot of the common wear parts like injectors and scr pump relay are all hundreds of dollars... Way more then e39 or e60 territory

mainly the scr system and the emissions items.. are thru the roof

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts

It really is a PITA. I highly recommend a good tint, a good windshield reflector, and regular cleaning and lubricating of the sunroof tracks with a good silicon grease like Honda's Shin-Etsu silicon grease. Anything you can do to preserve the interior plastics. The plastic sunroof guide rails get absolutely baked in high noon sun, especially on black cars.

It's not so much that the work is hard, it's just extremely fiddly, requires careful removal of small pieces, and lots of careful disassembly and reassembly. Then you've got to clean everything thoroughly, making sure everything goes together just so. If not, the sunroof's shade may not move back when the sunroof is tilted up, or get caught in the back of the sunroof assembly. Ask me how I know... I had to take everything apart twice.

Agreed. One day I intend to pay for the fix, probably next summer. I'm guessing $400 - $600 :dunno:
And it's not going to be $400-$600; try double or triple that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts