BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a result of an accident we migrated from a S63 AMG to a B7 and are enjoying the experience very much with one notable exception. We are overwhelmed and at times bewildered by the BMW technology. MB has maybe 1/2 of the features but we found that those they do have are easier to understand and execute.

Of particular problem is the parking/camera system which we are really struggling to make work for us.
One specific issue we really need your help on.

The B7 is extremely low in the front. As much as possible we try back in but sometimes it is not convenient and we have to go in front first.
Many parking spots have these concrete barriers and quite often they are so tall that we would damage the front of the car if we go in too far.

So, of course we turn in the front camera but that view is not really usable in trying to get close to the barrier - as you drive in you see a moving " shadow" which one has to assume is the vehicle. If you stop the shadow just in front of the barrier, you get out to take a look you are in reality still two feet away and your butt sticks out. So, clearly the shadow needs to go over the barrier but how much before actually touching it. So, when I drive with my wife one of us gets out to manually guide which of course makes no sense whatsoever.

When I take a look at the front camera I see it is mounted on an "arm" which I could imagine can fold down to give a bird's eye view of the obstacle and on two random occasions I think it actually did, but I have no clue of how to trigger that on command.

Net, net - we are quite certain that the system has the wherewithals to manage these barriers, but we are clearly not savvy enough to figure this out.

Can you help us and point our nose in the right direction.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,899 Posts
The B7 is extremely low in the front. As much as possible we try back in but sometimes it is not convenient and we have to go in front first.
Many parking spots have these concrete barriers and quite often they are so tall that we would damage the front of the car if we go in too far.
I back in every time where feasible. It's also much safer when you pull out, using the front camera to look around other vehicles if your view is obstructed by tall SUVs, so something to consider.

So, of course we turn in the front camera but that view is not really usable in trying to get close to the barrier - as you drive in you see a moving " shadow" which one has to assume is the vehicle. If you stop the shadow just in front of the barrier, you get out to take a look you are in reality still two feet away and your butt sticks out. So, clearly the shadow needs to go over the barrier but how much before actually touching it. So, when I drive with my wife one of us gets out to manually guide which of course makes no sense whatsoever.

When I take a look at the front camera I see it is mounted on an "arm" which I could imagine can fold down to give a bird's eye view of the obstacle and on two random occasions I think it actually did, but I have no clue of how to trigger that on command.
I think there is a blind spot directly in front of the vehicle. You may have to learn how far "over" the position where you last saw the parking stop, or try to follow it from the top view since the mirror mounted cameras should still be able to see the edges.

The camera itself doesn't move, the different angles provided in top view and panoramic view are generated by software. Can you see the parking stop from the corners of the panoramic view?

Light Plant Font Motor vehicle Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I back in every time where feasible. It's also much safer when you pull out, using the front camera to look around other vehicles if your view is obstructed by tall SUVs, so something to consider.

I think there is a blind spot directly in front of the vehicle. You may have to learn how far "over" the position where you last saw the parking stop, or try to follow it from the top view since the mirror mounted cameras should still be able to see the edges.

The camera itself doesn't move, the different angles provided in top view and panoramic view are generated by software. Can you see the parking stop from the corners of the panoramic view?

View attachment 1050894
I finally figured it out and thank you for providing me the mental inspiration.
The secret sauce is called " car wash" When you move forward and use the automated parking which initiates the forward camera and you then move to the left and engage " car wash" - you get a bird's eye view from the front camera and it gives you exactly the right angle to position you car just in front of the barrier. I think this will do the trick. Thanks!
ff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

View attachment 1050894
The secret sauce is called " car wash" When you move forward and use the automated parking which initiates the forward camera and you then move to the left and engage " car wash" - you get a bird's eye view from the front camera and it gives you exactly the right angle to position you car just in front of the barrier. I think this will do the trick. Thanks!
ff

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,899 Posts
ff
Cool, good to know that you can actually see that area. Not sure why the top down view makes it look like it has a blind spot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cool, good to know that you can actually see that area. Not sure why the top down view makes it look like it has a blind spot.
It would be great if the webmaster could create a separate Alpina forum under the 7 Series listing.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,899 Posts
It would be great if the webmaster could create a separate Alpina forum under the 7 Series listing.
Unfortunately, that won't make sense to do because the Alpina is a lower production variant that shares the majority of its systems with regular production cars. Similar to how the boards won't be split based on engine options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts