Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've had multiple tires blow out on my B7 and was wondering if anyone has experienced the same issues?

Thanks!

·
In Heaven
2,967 Posts
Too many times it could come out of under inflation...
Some leave the tires at 32 psi to protect the rims i guess when alpina recommend 40+ psi???
What is your tires pressure?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've had multiple tires blow out on my B7 and was wondering if anyone has experienced the same issues?

Thanks!
Most people with wheels that size are noticing issues with harsh conditions. There just isn't enough rubber between the rim and the road.

It's not what you want to hear, but if you don't want to worry about failures your best bet would be to downgrade to 19" wheels. The good news is that your B7 wheels are worth a pretty penny.

jeff

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
From what I've seen on the 7 forums over the last few years, the 21" tires and wheels on the B7 are very prone to damage. Some of the owners up in the northeast have replaced half a dozen tires/wheels each year. Wheel/tire insurance is a must, even in CA. Santa Monica BMW told me they have a huge pile of damaged B7 wheels from all the replacements they do. I wouldn't consider putting 19s on a B7. I've had no problems with 20's in LA

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
From what I've seen on the 7 forums over the last few years, the 21" tires and wheels on the B7 are very prone to damage. Some of the owners up in the northeast have replaced half a dozen tires/wheels each year. Wheel/tire insurance is a must, even in CA. Santa Monica BMW told me they have a huge pile of damaged B7 wheels from all the replacements they do. I wouldn't consider putting 19s on a B7. I've had no problems with 20's in LA
Is your 7 gone now Adam? I see the M6 on your sig.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Hey Raj,
Yeah, the 7 was having some problems. Just picked up the M6 last week. Will put some pics up once it gets a solid detail. Fun car to drive, but I definitely miss the smooth and quiet ride of the 7 sometimes. Didn't want to get into a another 36 month lease on a 750 right before the new body style came out though, so I figured I'd try something new.

·
CABimmerNation
1,792 Posts
Hey Raj,
Yeah, the 7 was having some problems. Just picked up the M6 last week. Will put some pics up once it gets a solid detail. Fun car to drive, but I definitely miss the smooth and quiet ride of the 7 sometimes. Didn't want to get into a another 36 month lease on a 750 right before the new body style came out though, so I figured I'd try something new.
This^^^
As crazy as it seems, I much prefer overall experience of the 7 over our M6. The M6 is faster and handles better but the 7 with a tune and pedalbox is a blast. I chose the 7 over the M6 90% of the time.

·
CABimmerNation
1,792 Posts
Adam, did BMW just let you out of your lease early without penalty or did you get all your payments back?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey....

Yes I've had the same issue. 18 flats /blow outs in 3 years. I took the blowout insurance, best $ I ever spent. I eventually put together a spare tire/jack and lug wrench package. It eats up a lot of trunk space. I just ordered M series 19 inch wheels which will give me more tire and less wheel. They are also run flats so I can ditch the spare. It may not look Alpina, but the car will spend less time on a flat bed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Options to Michelin Pilot Super Sport?

I've got a 2013 Alpina B7 and just got my 6th flat in less than a year. I've got the stock Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Has anyone had any luck with other brands? How about adding run flats (I had them on my 2010 M3 and they were harsh as heck)?

Attachments

·
whughes
2,026 Posts
i put the michelin pilot sport cup 2's on my car and was surprised how well they rode. but i am not sure they are really ok for daily use

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Most likely using SL (standard load) instead of XL (extraload) and/or having the wrong tire pressure. Probably too much.

Also probably using the incorrect load rating should also be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I had 22s on my 750 for 8k miles and never had an issue. I kept the tire pressure at max. Higher tire pressure reduces flexing in the sidewall.

·
That Guy w/ the Modded GT
637 Posts
Interesting. I'm currently waiting on my set of 21"s being built and will be running the same size tires as the B7. PSS's seem to be the best out there (Pirelli is good too but everyone says PSS is better), however this is quite odd. Sure the tire sidewalls are thin but I've seen plenty of M5's run 21"s on smaller sidewalls (30/25 as opposed to 35/30) without any issues. Hmm.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had 13 blow outs in 2 years on my 2008 B7
I had 11 blowouts in 3 years on my 2011 B7
I had 7 blowouts on my 2013 B7, ands I am a careful driver, I now have a 2016 750i with 20 inch and have not had one harsh pothole experience yet
The key difference is the suspension not so much the tires, many other cars have 21 inch tires and do not have as many issues
The suspension on the F01/F02 is terrible compared to the new build
I will likely order another Alpina next year and I will probably go with the 20inch Alpina wheel option just to be safe
As others have said, once I got my second Alpina in 2011 and not wanting to be stuck roadside anymore I bought a full mounted spare tire and a jack kit from BMW, added a duffle bag with spare Lug nuts, a large star style lug wrench a blanket for the ground, a pair or work gloves and a large lantern flashlight - and I was all set
I would get a blow out, be in dress clothes and I could change a tire and be on my way in 15 minutes with out getting dirty
If your interested, send me a message - I have the entire spare and jack sitting in my warehouse. The wheel does not fit on my 2016

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I had 13 blow outs in 2 years on my 2008 B7
I had 11 blowouts in 3 years on my 2011 B7
I had 7 blowouts on my 2013 B7, ands I am a careful driver, I now have a 2016 750i with 20 inch and have not had one harsh pothole experience yet
The key difference is the suspension not so much the tires, many other cars have 21 inch tires and do not have as many issues
The suspension on the F01/F02 is terrible compared to the new build
I will likely order another Alpina next year and I will probably go with the 20inch Alpina wheel option just to be safe
As others have said, once I got my second Alpina in 2011 and not wanting to be stuck roadside anymore I bought a full mounted spare tire and a jack kit from BMW, added a duffle bag with spare Lug nuts, a large star style lug wrench a blanket for the ground, a pair or work gloves and a large lantern flashlight - and I was all set
I would get a blow out, be in dress clothes and I could change a tire and be on my way in 15 minutes with out getting dirty
If your interested, send me a message - I have the entire spare and jack sitting in my warehouse. The wheel does not fit on my 2016
It's probably due to buying the wrong tire load rating as well as too much tire pressure.

Just because the 3 sets of numbers look good doesn't mean the other sets are. Say it's like 98W. There's also SL and XL.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

Also you have to take atmospheric pressure of +15 into consideration. Probably running 40+psi cold on the tires that's why they blew out.
https://youtu.be/272zDtbhK48?t=2m38s

·
Registered
333 Posts
Other cars with 21s are much lighter than f01/2 thats probably the reason they didnt have much tire blowouts like us. Tire manufacturers were unprepared to supply 21" tires for heavy cars. I think to switch to 20s alpina of the same style.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts