BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car is parked in front of my office from time to time. I finally had my camera handy today so I snapped a few quick pics.

I haven't met the owner yet. Looks like he has kept this thing pretty clean. :thumbup:

Alpina buffs... how authentic is it?

--SONET

Attachments

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Well, the wheels are obviously wrong. Those are late-model OE Sty;ing 32s. The graphics, front spoiler, and badge are correct, and it has the euro front grille with the 2 different sized lights, though I think it's supposed to have ellipsoid low beams and headlight wipers. It should have Buffalo leather or cloth Recaros with Alpina stripes on it, as well as Alpina shifter/wheel/cluster.

·
"I'll drive!"
137 Posts
DougDogs said:
I'm still searching for pictures to prove it, but I think the rims are wrong
Yes the wheels are wrong. Things to check are interior trim, poke your head under the rear and if you can pop the hood. Should have Alpina logos embeded in the interior, extra gages for fuel pressure, oil pressure and vacuum, and possibly a rear end fluid cooler powered by a belt drive off the pumpkin (cool stuff). Shocks should be Bilstiens I believe. The VIN on the lower windshield may show as std BMW or may be Alpina's special VIN number. Special VIN should also be stamped on the firewall.

Attachments

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fixdaserver said:
Yes the wheels are wrong. Things to check are interior trim, poke your head under the rear and if you can pop the hood. Should have Alpina logos embeded in the interior, extra gages for fuel pressure, oil pressure and vacuum, and possibly a rear end fluid cooler powered by a belt drive off the pumpkin (cool stuff). Shocks should be Bilstiens I believe. The VIN on the lower windshield may show as std BMW or may be Alpina's special VIN number. Special VIN should also be stamped on the firewall.
Thanks guys. It's out there now, I'll go have a look.

--SONET

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
As Bob said, it's a clone. I've asked the gurus on the M5board.com, here's the history :

Euro 528i 1982 Lapis Blue original paint with black seats and blue carpet, no heat, no air, goofy wheels, "IS" rear spoiler, Hartge front. The good: 750il front brakes, 3:73 lsd, steel braided brake lines, short shift kit, and although it had tons of dents, excellent paint!
After: 3.5 dirty motor conversion-Courtesey of Autobahn!, Alpina spoilers, wheel, shift knob, gauges, E39 sport wheels, Flofit seats, new tint, new rugs, etc. Very fun and tossable daily 5er.
Thanks 3G for the information.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kinda weird that it's on the web like that, but that's cool - thanks for the link. :thumbup:

--SONET

1 - 11 of 11 Posts