BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have signed up for the "See the 3" Event in Santa Monica, and the "Celebrate the 3" Event in Costa Mesa on May 5. I was anxiously awaiting these events, since I have been dying to see the new 3 in the metal. I was hoping that they would have one on display in Alpine White, since that's the color that I was planning on buying (next year, once the bugs are worked out). However, most of the pictures I have seen are either in Silver or Sparkling Graphite Metallic.

In the meantime, I'm currently in Tokyo for three weeks on a business trip. As I was walking through the Roppogi Hills section of Tokyo Friday night, I was shocked by what I saw. A 320i was on display, in the exact exterior/interior color combo that I am considering: Alpine White/Gray! After I recovered from the shock of such a pleasant surprise, I got down to the business of carefully checking out the car.

My first impressions were very, very postive. Virtually all of the worries that I had about the exterior of the car, specifically the front grill and the bootlid, completedly disappeared once I saw the car in the metal. Even the front, diagonal cutline between the wheel arch and the hood, which I always thought looked strange in pictures, looked fine. The only area that still bothers me is the slab sided doors. The aggressive Hofmeister kink helps, but I'd still have preferred that they include side moldings as on the E46.

I was very relieved to see that the car looks stunning in Alpine White. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the interior very well since the car was locked. However, from what I could tell, the interior looked quite nice as well. In general, I would have to agree with what others have said: you have to see this car to really appreciate it. The pictures do not do it justice. However, I figured that pictures are the best you can do on a message board and I know that "this thread is useless without pictures". So I made it a point to go back to Roppongi Hills on Sunday, camera in hand, to shoot several shots so that I could share them with my fellow 'Festers. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Great pics.

Roppongi Hills, where is that, near the embassies?

That back seat looks comfy!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ron,

Thanks for posting those photos, that is the exact color combo I have on order. I was concerned about the grey dakota with the aluminum trim but the photos look good.

Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dawg90 said:
Great pics.

Roppongi Hills, where is that, near the embassies?

That back seat looks comfy!
Roppongi Hills is fairly close to the embassies. The car was on display in the complex adjacent to the Grand Hyatt.

The back seat did look pretty comfy, but it also looked like the front seat was moved pretty far forward. I imagine that if you adjusted the driver's seat for a tall person, there wouldn't be much leg room in the back after all.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It is so funny...

...how no one gives a damn about this car...no single soul stopped to look at this car. It tells you everything ...not an exciting car at all.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
es said:
...how no one gives a damn about this car...no single soul stopped to look at this car. It tells you everything ...not an exciting car at all.
What? Were you there?

Most people don't give a hoot about new cars, only us fanatics.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
es said:
It was a sea of people around it at the NYIAS. And the car had 4 people in it at all times.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The car looks great in white. I'm also ordering the same color. Still can't decide between gray leather w/ al trim or beige leather w/ poplar trim though. :confused:
Has anyone seen both of these combos?

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Is it just me or is there an issue with the way those panels fit on the doors? That might be a problem with certain color combos. :tsk:

--SONET

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts