BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Alternatior Belt Tensioner

2454 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  dherzfeld
Alternator Belt Tensioner

I noticed a weird engine noise like a worn T-belt last week. Took it in for service and it turned out that it was the Alt. Belt Tensioner and they had to replace it. Wow, At 970mi!?! Is this a BMW trait? :tsk:
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Noise

What did the noise sound like? Did the noise come on and off or is it on all the time? Warm or cold start?
sounded like a worn timing belt with a high pitch metal clunking. definitely did not sound normal. it only happened on cold starts. anyway, they replaced the alternator belt tensioner pulley along with other misc. parts. i can list the parts if you wish. so far the noice had not returned (crossing fingers).
Engine Noise

During warm starts (example driving for an hour, stop for 30min. then starting up again) I would hear this repetitive ta-ta-ta-ta noise fromt the engine. It has happened about 5-6 times. The noise would only last for max 5 seconds. Had the dealer check it out and they said it was faulty igintion coils and replaced all 6 ignition coils. Took it back from the dealer and the same probelm persisted, this time only lasted for 1 second (happened 2 times so far). I'm thinking it has to do with the engine's timing. Bringing it back to the dealer next week.
Mein auto: Litespeed/Klein/KHS
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
echelon153 said:
I noticed a weird engine noise like a worn T-belt last week. Took it in for service and it turned out that it was the Alt. Belt Tensioner and they had to replace it. Wow, At 970mi!?! Is this a BMW trait? :tsk:
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.