Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been learning about ZF's on recent Jags. They're pretty active over there on ZF transmissions as well.

This is a fluid replacement process on a ZF HP 26. The DIY'er wanted to flush out all of the fluid. Also has some comments on alternatives to LG6. Useful stuff, interesting approaches, new data.

Also, attached below is the ZF HP 26 repair manual, from ZF. Again, lots of new data, though uou'd better be pretty damn good if you want to tear down a ZF tranny. Anyway, new info. Cancel that. Apparently 35M is too much for the server. So: ZF_6HP26_20322431-Repair-Manual

Bangle

·
Registered
643 Posts
Posted about this earlier so this link may be helpful

·
Registered
607 Posts
thanks for the post. interesting that Ford Motorcraft Mercon SP and Shell Spirax S4 ATF MSP are identical to Lifeguard 6. Would like to see some cross-reference on this.

Lincoln Navigator did use the ZF 6HP26

·
Registered
643 Posts
thanks for the post. interesting that Ford Motorcraft Mercon SP and Shell Spirax S4 ATF MSP are identical to Lifeguard 6. Would like to see some cross-reference on this.

Lincoln Navigator did use the ZF 6HP26

I spend weeks researching the various fluids for our ZF tranny’s and came to the conclusion that Mercon sp is identical and not a rip off like our dealers, have been running it for four years now and around 40kmiles and tranny performs flawlessly, I saved some of the pertinent docs but will need some time to put my hands on it.

Reactions: SunglassesGuy

·
Registered
607 Posts
I spend weeks researching the various fluids for our ZF tranny’s and came to the conclusion that Mercon sp is identical and not a rip off like our dealers, have been running it for four years now and around 40kmiles and tranny performs flawlessly, I saved some of the pertinent docs but will need some time to put my hands on it.
Thanks, would love to see them!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Too much stuff to post, and also mostly PDF which I am unable to attach here, pm me with your email and I’ll send some pertinent info.

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
From what I have read, Mercon SP is NOT identical to Lifeguard 6. They may be similar, may meet the same base requirements, but they are NOT identical. Not saying that one is better than the other, I am not qualified. And, I am guessing that no one that reads this is qualified. This debate has been going on for years. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that if using Mercon SP allows one to change their fluid more frequently due to the cost savings, then it may prove to be beneficial. Me? I am sticking to Lifeguard 6. Again, just a guess. But, if I were to bet, neither ZF nor Ford/Mercury actually makes their own transmission fluid. They simply subcontract and supply the specs. And, I would trust the specs of the manufacturer, ZF, over any other. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Agree on they not being IDENTICAL, however when you compare the essential spec numbers Mercon sp and LG6 (shell spec 1375] they are close enough for me ......, any difference is insignificant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts