Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe it but happened to me. I left a good alternator in the shed for about a year. Today I needed and guess what? I can't move the pulley. I'm screwed.

The ambient temp with wind chill is -10 degree F. I brought it inside, hopefully I can un-seize the with a few wacks from a rubber mallet.

You guys ever experienced such? Any other tips?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,474 Posts
Wind chill affects humans / animals only. Wind chill has no effect on machinery. Wind chill ***8216;factor***8217; is the effect of wind forced convection heat transfer. Q = m Cp (Th - Tc)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wind chill affects humans / animals only. Wind chill has no effect on machinery. Wind chill 'factor' is the effect of wind forced convection heat transfer. Q = m Cp (Th - Tc)
Ha ha Doug. You're killing me with science!

I guess my daughter is going to drive my POS Chebby S10. Good ole America pie.:thumbup: Until I'll get a new alternator.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Wind chill affects humans / animals only. Wind chill has no effect on machinery. Wind chill ***8216;factor***8217; is the effect of wind forced convection heat transfer. Q = m Cp (Th - Tc)

Well, the connotation (intended meaning) of Doug’s post is correct but the denotation (literal meaning) not quite.
Living creatures (including humans) can experience wind chill as an effective colder temperature where the heat transfer is the same as without wind. So it “feels” like it is -X etc. (connotation of wind chill)
Machines do experience “wind chill” but only to the actual temp not an equivalent lower temp. Without “wind chill” the radiator wouldn’t work.
Just to round out the science lesson with English for today.

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

·
Registered
586 Posts
Both front and rear bearings are rubber sealed (RS). Intact seals should keep moisture out. As long as there is some remaining grease, even a little moisture shouldn't cause the bearing to rust enough to seize. It only takes a little rust to ruin a bearing eventually, but it shouldn't seize.

The windings should be sealed (varnish or epoxy) to prevent moisture problems, but enough water in there and a bunch of freeze cycles could expand the rotor enough to jam against the case. Or the steel internals could rust.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for chime in. bought a rebuild kit from Amazon for 44 bucks.

Going to find out how good my tinker business is.:eeps:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thanks guys for chime in. bought a rebuild kit from Amazon for 44 bucks.

Going to find out how good my tinker business is.:eeps:
What type of alternator?

What does the rebuild kit include?

I:bigpimp: would have opened it up before buying parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts