BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

following situation: My father owns a 1991 520i 24V. I had to replace the alternator and used this part number 12311744560 to replace this one 12 31 1 738 509. The new alternator works perfectly fine and the problems (headlamp and interior light flickering) are gone. But to get the alternator in place i had to remove the dip stick bracket. The plastic housing at the back of the alternator seems to be shaped ever so slightly different. Unfortunately i could not find a parts number for an alternative dip stick bracket. I now don't know how to fasten the dip stick since the bracket is in the way of the alternator. Were there different dipsticks or even different alternator housings? Because mechanically the alternator works 100% but there just isn't enough space behind it for this damn bracket!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Sorry I can't help in the proper part or fitments aspect, but I would say I've used a heat gun to make minor plastic adjustments. Might be worth looking into. Also, can the plastic backs be swapped, provided you still have the orig?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plastic housing of the Valeo does not fit on my new Bosch, unfortunately. From images i can say that the other Bosch Alternator housings look identical to mine. And the Catalogue does not provide parts numbers for the housing or the bracket. But thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
So what about softening the plastic with a heat gun and manipulating it for the dipstick fitment? Is there internal clearance on the plastic?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what about softening the plastic with a heat gun and manipulating it for the dipstick fitment? Is there internal clearance on the plastic?
The problem with that is that the exact spot where i would need about 5-10 mm of extra space is where the hose for the air that's cooling the alternator is supposed to attach. Can't touch the plastic there or the hose wouldn't fit anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts