BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Is $690 for an alternator replacement (with Bosch rebuilt) and the diagnostic work to figure it out a fair price? Or am I being burned here? I've worked with this mechanic several times, but now that he has gotten pretty big, I feel like he no longer feels the need to hook up the people who have been working with him for years.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well, parts cost is at least half of that price tag. Add in book time, and that sounds about right

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have never had an issue with them personally, but, so I don't further upset your Cali sensitivities, here is the fcp price

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Nothing wrong with ECS. FCPEURO is great for its lifetime warranty. The alternator is not difficult to replace. You sure you want to go with Bosch rebuilt instead of Behr?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have never had an issue with them personally, but, so I don't further upset your Cali sensitivities, here is the fcp price

I'm offended you found the 550i alternator, not the 535i alternator :cry:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing wrong with ECS. FCPEURO is great for its lifetime warranty. The alternator is not difficult to replace. You sure you want to go with Bosch rebuilt instead of Behr?

Is there a difference? I noticed the voltage regulators can vary a bit..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Which model E60.do you have? If it's a 545 or 550 it takes a bit of finesse to get the alternator in and out. What I did on my 545 is unbolt the top of the engine mount drivers side and jack up that side of the engine a couple inches to get it out. I've done it several times. After the first time I can swap out an alternator in under an hour.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Valeo, Behr, Hella, all good. It’s probably a 3 hour shop job. Looks like you are paying for the rebuilt alternator and 3 hours of labor right? I wouldn’t argue with it. Hopefully you have a good warranty at your shop.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
FWIW, replacing the alternator on my 530xiT was extremely easy - just had to remove the air box, and had easy access to the four (aluminum) bolts that hold it in. Because of the easy nature of the fix (and the ability to do it easily in a parking lot on the road if necessary), I took a chance and got a rebuilt REMY alternator from Rockauto - under $100 after returning the core. Been months, and is working fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which model E60.do you have? If it's a 545 or 550 it takes a bit of finesse to get the alternator in and out. What I did on my 545 is unbolt the top of the engine mount drivers side and jack up that side of the engine a couple inches to get it out. I've done it several times. After the first time I can swap out an alternator in under an hour.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I have the notorious, yet highly coveted N54 E60. It is kind of a pain to replace, but I can imagine after doing it multiple times it becomes a breeze. And that is the reason I'm kind of skeptical to how much of a 'deal' my indy is giving me. According to this forum it appears that I'm getting the standard stranger pricing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts