BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, there.

e46, 2002 325xi, manual transmission. 181k

finally in possession of an actual garage so I decided to take it upon myself to do an oil change, swap out my headlight bulbs and put a new gasket on the oil filter housing, b/c it is leaky superfluously.

Fan and air intake went off fine.

Got to the pulleys. Did as the Bentley manual said, watched an obscene amount of DIY and stuck my head in the engine bay to look around and understand what goes where and still -- still managed to shear off this bolt. :mad:

I was suspicious of its significance in the first place: my understanding is for the pulleys, my main tools would be the 10mm and the 16mm, but this was 13mm. However, it was as the manual said, so I feel a bit betrayed and very confused.

So...what happened? I'd like to still finish the job and I don't want to throw the towel in. What component did this bolt belong to? Was I correct in following the Bentley manual for e46s here, or because this is a hydraulic critter, should I have done this differently?

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to start being enthusiastic about working on my car, but right now feel rather jaded by the whole thing. I've watched numerous DIY and checked out the great DIYs here, but they seem to pertain more to mechanical tensioners than hydraulic. If I've been barkin' up the wrong tree, I'd love you guys to let me know.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hey, there.

e46, 2002 325xi, manual transmission. 181k

finally in possession of an actual garage so I decided to take it upon myself to do an oil change, swap out my headlight bulbs and put a new gasket on the oil filter housing, b/c it is leaky superfluously.

Fan and air intake went off fine.

Got to the pulleys. Did as the Bentley manual said, watched an obscene amount of DIY and stuck my head in the engine bay to look around and understand what goes where and still -- still managed to shear off this bolt. :mad:

I was suspicious of its significance in the first place: my understanding is for the pulleys, my main tools would be the 10mm and the 16mm, but this was 13mm. However, it was as the manual said, so I feel a bit betrayed and very confused.

So...what happened? I'd like to still finish the job and I don't want to throw the towel in. What component did this bolt belong to? Was I correct in following the Bentley manual for e46s here, or because this is a hydraulic critter, should I have done this differently?

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to start being enthusiastic about working on my car, but right now feel rather jaded by the whole thing. I've watched numerous DIY and checked out the great DIYs here, but they seem to pertain more to mechanical tensioners than hydraulic. If I've been barkin' up the wrong tree, I'd love you guys to let me know.

Thanks.
I think I see where the problem happened. The diagram is for the hex on the mechanical tensioner, and you applied the torque to that alternator bolt instead and broke it off, yours being hydraulic.

Easy fix, but it might be trouble getting the broken tip off if you don't have the tools.

You'll recover. You'll be doing your own YouTube DIYs in no time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response!

So what did this bolt belong to? Is it like a tensioner-mount for the assembly or...?

My understanding is that I'm going to have to tap and die to get this bolt out, but with that in mind, what bolt should I have been putting that torque on to loosen up the belts? The tensioner that sits right below this lug?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thanks for your response!

So what did this bolt belong to? Is it like a tensioner-mount for the assembly or...?

My understanding is that I'm going to have to tap and die to get this bolt out, but with that in mind, what bolt should I have been putting that torque on to loosen up the belts? The tensioner that sits right below this lug?

Thanks again.
That's one of the alternator bolts from the looks of it. If so you'll need to remove the alternator to get to it.

This is what you can potentially run into. Not what you want to hear, but it's always good to be prepared just in case -

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1018391

On the hydraulic setup, it's the bolt that holds the pulley itself (the one in the middle of the circle) that you have to torque down to tension and release.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts