BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 328i with only 68k miles. Yesterday one of the two aluminum head bolts snapped off within the engine and knocked the timing chain off the sprocket and blew a hole in the head cover. This car has 10 head bolts with the front two being aluminum. The extended warranty I have covers only lubricated moving internal parts or damage from these parts so none of this damage is covered. Obviously I learned a hard lesson that when they sell these policies and say that your engine is covered they are misleading you. BMW dealer told me to call BMW NA which I did to set up a case in hopes that they will chip in some money for this repair. Regardless of the outcome, this will be my last BMW as they are not as 'bullet proof' as the older models from the 80s and 90s. Anyone else have this problem? If so did BMW help with costs?

·
Registered
292 Posts
That sucks bad. I dont understand why folks think bmw should cover 6 year old cars though like they are new?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Head bolts are not covered under the engine warranty? WTF! So how about rod bolts? Main cap bolts? Cam bolts? There are lots of critical engine components that aren't "lubricated moving internal parts", like the head and the block for starters.

Another reason to never buy an extended warranty.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Hmmm, the point of contention: "The extended warranty I have covers only lubricated moving internal parts or damage from these parts so none of this damage is covered. "...a third party extended warranty?
Would CPO by BMW NA cover it, by contrast?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry to hear another consumer tricked by an insurance policy and an unethical car dealer willing to sell junk to improve the bottom line. The solution is to buy a "named exclusion" policy. There are waaaaay too many parts that can fail and is the reason warranty companies love "named inclusion" policies. A named exclusion policy only lists things that are not covered, unlike a named inclusion policy that only covers things listed in the policy. By the way, check your homeowners policy as well. In Texas, HO-A policies, the vast majority of policies written in Texas, are named inclusion policies. If you actually want to be covered by insurance for an accident, you need to buy a HO-B policy.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Is it out of BMW warranty?
I thought BMW warranty was 7 years or 70,000 miles.

·
Aleks
1,270 Posts
That sucks bad. I dont understand why folks think bmw should cover 6 year old cars though like they are new?
I've never had any other 6 year old cars blowing bolts through the engine. I think you are BMW's golden customer. Yeah it brakes down all the time and has a million problems but its 3 years old what do you expect.

This will be my last BMW as well, worst build car I've had my entire life and this is coming from someone who has had an alfa romeo. The amount of crap I've fixed is incredible, I'm just waiting for the day one of these bolts goes through my engine. I've already found one head bolt in my oil pan, god knows where it came from. Quality BMW engineering at it's finest. Wouldn't take another BMW if it was given to me for free.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I've never had any other 6 year old cars blowing bolts through the engine. I think you are BMW's golden customer. Yeah it brakes down all the time and has a million problems but its 3 years old what do you expect.

This will be my last BMW as well, worst build car I've had my entire life and this is coming from someone who has had an alfa romeo. The amount of crap I've fixed is incredible, I'm just waiting for the day one of these bolts goes through my engine. I've already found one head bolt in my oil pan, god knows where it came from. Quality BMW engineering at it's finest. Wouldn't take another BMW if it was given to me for free.
So horrible to hear that. Where did you buy this car from?

·
Aleks
1,270 Posts
So horrible to hear that. Where did you buy this car from?
It was from a private seller. Full BMW service history had 62K miles on it when I got it. There's nothing I've really had go wrong with it that doesn't have a 100 forum posts of people having the same issues.

I really never thought a car of this price range could have so many quality issues at what I consider to be still quite low miles. It's not new but I expect more. The Jap car's I've had have been absolutely bullet proof. The BMW drives great I'll give it that but it's not worth it for someone like me who likes to keep his cars for a long time.

Recently I've started noticing more and more interior plastic pealing. What's sad about that is that both the previous owner and myself have garaged the car both at work and at home. I can't imagine what it would look like if it was parked outside its whole life lol

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I just bought my wife a 2013 CPOd 328i and I hadn't seen this issue on the forums so was just curious if it was dealer bought or not (why, I don't know). Hopefully you can get around that repair price tag somehow. 68k miles is still not even broken in yet! I don't understand why one would have to foot the bill for broken bolts never touched unless work had been done to it to possibly cause it to happen. I have the n54 engine but haven't read or heard of any broken bolt issues. I'll do some searching. Heart broken for you. For what it's worth, Ive had two Nissans Ive paid huge repair bills on under 100k miles due to proprietary parts and extremely cheap design. Most recently my son's Frontier Truck. Wish you the best.

·
Aleks
1,270 Posts
I just bought my wife a 2013 CPOd 328i and I hadn't seen this issue on the forums so was just curious if it was dealer bought or not (why, I don't know). Hopefully you can get around that repair price tag somehow. 68k miles is still not even broken in yet! I don't understand why one would have to foot the bill for broken bolts never touched unless work had been done to it to possibly cause it to happen. I have the n54 engine but haven't read or heard of any broken bolt issues. I'll do some searching. Heart broken for you. For what it's worth, Ive had two Nissans Ive paid huge repair bills on under 100k miles due to proprietary parts and extremely cheap design. Most recently my son's Frontier Truck. Wish you the best.
I'm not the OP of this thread, I was just sympathizing with him since I've had lots of issues, haven't had the bolt go through the engine yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did is all i was saying considering the amount of issues I've had.

Yeah cars are a bit hit and miss like that, I just expected more of BMW especially considering that this thing in Australia would have been about 80K new. I had a W203 mercedes prior to this and just found the durability to be so much better. Although it also wasn't as good as the jap cars, my fun in the euro game might be over after the E90 it really left a bad taste in my mouth for all European cars.

·
Registered
292 Posts

You got me all wrong. I am on my first and last ever bmw. It has been nothing but trouble in the 9 months i have owned it. That doesnt change the fact that i dont expect a car manufacture to warrant a 6 year old car like it was new. There is not 1 car brand out there who will. I do like the way my bmw drives but it is not worth what it cost to fix them.

·
Aleks
1,270 Posts
You got me all wrong. I am on my first and last ever bmw. It has been nothing but trouble in the 9 months i have owned it. That doesnt change the fact that i dont expect a car manufacture to warrant a 6 year old car like it was new. There is not 1 car brand out there who will. I do like the way my bmw drives but it is not worth what it cost to fix them.
Apologies, I just get tired of hearing people on this forum making excuses for BMW's poor quality. I made BMW fix a leaking fuel pipe that required the whole tank to be dropped and the car was 7 years old for free, so it can be done. They thought it tooth and nail but I started making complaints all over the place until they finally got their act together. It cost about $800 to get the job completed as the driveshaft and fuel tank had to be dropped.

To this day I can't believe the issues I've had with my car, they are really unacceptable regardless of age.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sometimes I think it's the individual car. I had a Porsche Cayman , certified and it was in the shop 14 separate times in the first year . Now that's a piece of crap car. If you read consumer reports Porsche gets really high marks. I have had my current BMW about 18 months , no issues 0. I feel your pain! I still had a year certification left on my Porsche , but I got rid of it. The service people were awesome, the car was terrible !

·
Aleks
1,270 Posts
Sometimes I think it's the individual car. I had a Porsche Cayman , certified and it was in the shop 14 separate times in the first year . Now that's a piece of crap car. If you read consumer reports Porsche gets really high marks. I have had my current BMW about 18 months , no issues 0. I feel your pain! I still had a year certification left on my Porsche , but I got rid of it. The service people were awesome, the car was terrible !
Oh look it definitely is the case there will be more people who have had no issues then there are people with issues, otherwise BMW and every other major car company out there wouldn't be making the profits they are making it's as simple as that.

The other thing you have to look at though is that majority of people will probably only keep their car up to 5 years and in reality there is only so much that can go wrong in that time. But a car's true build quality comes out after 5,10,15 years. Then you really see how well something is built, for the majority of people this is irrelevant as they will never keep their car anywhere near that time, but for people like me who plan to keep their car for such periods of time, BMW has so far being the biggest let down of all the car's I've had and at the end of the day that is just my experience.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Comments are on the mark. BMW has joined the planned obsolescence gang. Build the car to last the original lease cycle and don't worry about the secondary market. I had an old 89 5 series that I bought with 100K miles on it and ran it for another 35K without putting any money into it other than oil chances and filters. This is back when their motors were bullet proof.

·
Registered
451 Posts
IMHO unless you're a DIY type (I'm not), the best thing is to have a highly qualified indy mechanic and get the car inspected regularly (I do annual, and before a big road trip).

Rather than merely waiting for a system warning light (as seems to be dealer practice), my mechanic does a physical inspection, knows my car, and lets me know when something needs attention so it can be fixed before it causes a problem on the road. I think that's called "preventative maintenance." Plus, he is experienced so is alert to potential problem areas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts