BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this new item on Zionsville Autosport's Web site today:

M54 Competition Thermostat Housing Kit

On one hand, the polished aluminum housing is much prettier than the $30 Ronak aluminum housings everybody installs on their six-cylinder E36. On the other hand, you could buy eight or more OE M54 thermostats with plastic housings for the price of the Zionsville kit. :yikes:

Has anyone gotten this for their car yet? Are the M54 plastic thermostat housings as failure-prone as they (reportedly) were on the M50/S50/M52/S52?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I've seen a few thermostat failures here, I don't know if it was caused by the housing or not... seems like a lot of cash to spend on little gain. For that price, buy a LeatherZ gauge kit and monitor your oil temp :).

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen a few thermostat failures here, I don't know if it was caused by the housing or not... seems like a lot of cash to spend on little gain. For that price, buy a LeatherZ gauge kit and monitor your oil temp :).
Trust me, I'm working on adding gauges...in fact, I should be getting the first materials tomorrow. :thumbup:

I don't track the car, so I think I'll stick to regular preventive replacement of the cooling system with OE parts and call it good.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
While the thinking of the zionsville thermostat is understood, I see no possible way that it is worth it. The biggest reason for failures is owners not heading the warnings of others, We see so many posts about cooling system failures on this board and other boards that owners have to know that after about 60K miles they are in borrowed time. Many choose to not spend the money until the damage is done. Sadly in this day of plastics and what not parts are not lasting like the good ole days.
For that price you could change the waterpump and tstat 3 times over.
zionsville does make nice products and many are badly needed but I just do not see the upside here.
For all of that you could have a stewart waterpump and a few t stats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts