Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently selling a video card on ebay. I set up a paypal account for payment purposes. One potential buyer asked me if I would take other forms of payment. He said that b/c of fraud he doesn't use paypal. I asked why and he wrote the following to me. Is this a scam or real advice? Thanks!

"In the past two years, there have been several instances of theft of account, credit card, personal info from paypal by hackers and criminals.
Several thousand people have been victimized with this information and many have lost money or had their credit ruined because of it.

Paypal also has a bad record of mistaking people in its transactions. The wrong accounts are credited or debited, etc. When problems occur, the accounts of the people involved are locked down for unspecified amounts of time, until things are resolved or are settled in court.

It's just become a very scary and unreliable thing.

I recommend taking money orders, cashier's checks, maybe personal checks (from people with excellent feedback and established transactions), western unions transactions are good as well.

Believe me, there are many other options, just look around ebay and you'll see many other ways to conduct business.

As a good ebayer, I've just felt compelled to warn you."

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I have never had a problem with PayPal. Use it often and not just for E-Bay

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
Doesn't sound like a scam to me...
You're the one selling so you have full control. If he wants to buy it, tell him he can send a personal check and you'll ship the video card AFTER the check clears. I have done this several times.

EDIT: just wanted to say I have never had a problem with PayPal either.

·
Vietato
21,927 Posts
the_s_rabbit said:
You're the one selling so you have full control. If he wants to buy it, tell him he can send a personal check and you'll ship the video card AFTER the check clears. I have done this several times.

IMO, personal checks are bad (not reliable and a good way to get scammed). The best bet is money order from the bank or postal office.

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
the_s_rabbit said:

:stupid:

He's paranoid. If so, fine. tell him to send certified funds, since you are too. And send it out after you get them...

·
Living on the redline
27,240 Posts
Always use the CC option and never let it go beyond 30 days from the transaction before taking any action if there's an issue

·
Empowered Consumer
4,043 Posts
pintnight said:
IMO, personal checks are bad (not reliable and a good way to get scammed). The best bet is money order from the bank or postal office.
Money orders are easy fraud devices. And because many times your bank will instantly post them to your account, you may not know until days later that it comes back unpaid.

I think Paypal is safe and genuinely the best way to go.

Alex

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
CMOS said:
I recommend taking money orders, cashier's checks, maybe personal checks (from people with excellent feedback and established transactions), western unions transactions are good as well.
Actually, money orders, cashier's checks and personal checks are all known to be used for fraud also. The Western Union doesn't sound like a bad idea, but of course you don't ship until cash is in your hand. Unlike your bank, I wouldn't think Western Union could get its money back after you leave. Still, stick with what makes you comfortable: Paypal is fine as long as you are going through a credit card.

·
call me darkcloud
42,920 Posts
BahnBaum said:
Money orders are easy fraud devices. And because many times your bank will instantly post them to your account, you may not know until days later that it comes back unpaid.

I think Paypal is safe and genuinely the best way to go.

Alex
Don't put the MO in your bank. Where I live I can cash money orders/western unions at the grocery store. I get cash in hand (minus about 5 bucks) and if it bounces then that is the store/Western Union's problem.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I've never had an issue with Paypal and the protections it provides (hiding your personal info from the transaction) are great.

Unless this video card is really hard to sell I'd thank him for the warning and tell him he can either use PayPal to pay for it or not buy the card. I've never heard of anyone having a genuine reason for avoiding PayPal (other then fees, but the seller pays them).

If he absolutely insists on not using paypal and you can't sell the card to anyone else tell him you are holding the item until the funds settle (about 15-20 days seems to be standard).

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Had accounts with Paypal with years.......I can admit at times when doing business in conjunction with eBay I have "had" some problems, but never when using it just for general sending and receiving of payments.

·
Casey!
17,654 Posts
You aren't being scammed at all - its just his opinion.

I use PayPal with no problems at all.

·
Needs more cowbell
4,516 Posts
I'm not a heavy user of PayPal, but I've never had a problem. I even filed a dispute with them once because a seller never sent what I asked for. After the filing, I received the product within days. It turns out that I unknowlingly purchased a bootleg set of DVDs - they weren't advertised as originals, so that was my fault for not checking.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'd be worried about money orders

The problem with money orders is that I (and I assume many people) aren't that familiar with what they look like. So a fraudulent one could pass through my hands without me identifying it. And you can't depend on the bank unless you ask for their assisstance up front. Otherwise it's just another NSF cheque to them, but because it isn't the usual bank cheque it could take MUCH longer to identify since it doesn't go through the ususal cheque clearing house.

I'd back away if there's anything fishy. There're always other buyers.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
It sounds like a bit of a scam. But it could be that he is just paranoid.
As the seller you need to do what makes you feel comfortable and fits easiest with what you are trying to accomplish.

There are fraud issues with every form of payment so there is no perfect answer.

As a seller on eBay I strongly recommend that people pay me via PayPal. I do accept money orders but let them know that I will delay shipping until the MO is cashed or clears my bank. As a second level of protection I strongly recommend that people pay me using USPS money orders.

I do not accept personal or company checks.

I have never had an issue with PayPal and limit my high dollar auctions to persons with confirmed address on PayPal...This IMO is one of the best anti fraud tools that PayPal offers.

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
I have used PayPal since not long after it started. Never had a problem.

If he wants to pay via money order, have him (assuming US resident) get a US Postal Money Order. Then take it to the local PO to cash. They will know if it is real or not. And once you have cash, then ship. I did a lot of this before Pay Pal.

Witha personal check, you never really know if it clears. The banking rules require that bansk credit your account within so many days based on in state or out of state, out of region, etc. But it can take longer than that for the bad check to come back to them, so you can get a surprise later. Ask your bank, they can't tell you that a check has cleared, only that it either hasn't not cleared, or it has not cleared.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't think it's a scam. I used to use paypal until I got scammed by someone with a stolen credit card in Indonesia - happened about 5 years ago and I closed out my paypal account. I will send money with a credit card through paypal but I will not accept it. If you've got nothing to do for a couple of days read through their terms of service - they are basically a bank but not subject to the same controls, regulations, and safeguards of a regular bank. On top of that I get at least one paypal phishing scam email a day looking for my login info.

As far as I am concered the safest way to pay and receive money outside of cash is a US Postal money order bought at you local post office for only $.90. That is the only form of payment I will accept and ship immediately with - every else get held until it clears.

·
Ik hou van Holland...
5,226 Posts
Think Western Union is the best choice...:thumbup: But I never had a problem with PayPal...:p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts