BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys whats up?
I've been having this issue with my AC. It keeps blowing a fuse whenever I turn the car on. I replaced the the Final Stage unit but that didn't solve anything. I finally took it to a shop who specializes in imports, especially BMW's. It's burning here in Dallas and I just couldn't stand it anymore! They ran a quick diagnostic and said I had a short in the climate control unit or blower. Duh.. So now they need to trace down the short. I agreed and left my car since obviously this was not going to be something you could sit and wait to be completed. Later they called me and said they had ruled out the blower and climate unit and had traced the short to a single wire. Great right?
Nows here's the kicker. Apparently this wire runs under the carpet.???? He then continues to tell me that the carpet will need to be removed along with the seat, center console, glove box?!! What type of climate control does this car have that wires are going everywhere!!?? It just didn't make sense to me but since the car is new to me I okayed the work. I can just imagine my car is in a thousand pieces!! Is he just bulls#iting me or could this be a possible area of a short for the climate system? By the way, car's a 99 323i
Tell me all!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
He's not messing with you... the climate control wiring along with the Airbag wires run through out the whole entire car. The climate control most of the car at least, the labor is very expensive though. So keep in touch and see whats going on with how many hours your being charged. Good luck with everything.
Ryne

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweeeeet!!! Got my car back today. Apparently a wire around the evaporator had begun to rub on the chassis, wore through the insulation and finally shorted out. Strange but it was repaired and I'm back in the cool! Only five hours [email protected] $86 + shops supplies ect.= $455. No biggie. Cold air is worth it. Woohoo!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts