BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be purchasing a used 2005 330Ci ZHP on Monday. I haven't actually driven it yet, as it is several hundred miles away, but I have test driven other ZHP's. I've been reading here recently that a number of owners are describing the ride as "harsh" due to the 18" rims, low profile tires, and/or the suspension setup of the ZHP. While I don't expect a cushy ride, I don't want an uncomfortable ride.

Do you consider your ZHP's ride harsh? Have you grown tired or are you frustrated with the ride quality? Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you are used to a Lexus, then yes the ride will feel abominable.

If you are used to moderatly sporty cars, then you will be fine.

Frankly my Z (sport suspension, 18" wheels, RFT's), feels comfortable/quiet/smooth to drive after driving my M3.
So I think you will be fine. If you want fun and a decent ride you made a good choice.
If you want a 100% smooth ride (and far less sportyness), you should have purchased a ES350 or similar vehicle.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Yes.

You will regret the fact that no other car in the universe will ever feel as good as the one you are about to buy.

You will regret the fact that you will look down on other drivers and other cars, secure in the knowledge that you pilot a superior vehicle than 95% of the other inhabitants of this planet.

You will regret the fact that you will no longer be able to restrain yourself to the speed limit or even 10 or 20 miles above it. Especially on freeway onramps.

You will regret the fact that you will become obsessive and possessive, passionate and irrational, compulsive and immersed in all things ZHP.

Now get over it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No you will not regret it at all. I love my ZHP but will need to sell it as I am moving to New York city and having a car there is not very practical for me.

Would you mind telling how much the car you are getting is selling for. I have a 2005 330ci ZHP with only 7000 miles on it, but I have no idea how much I could sell it for. This way I can get a rough idea of what I could get for it. Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
No problems here with an uncomfortable ride. I am pretty young though so I'm not one to complain about a sporty car being too harsh. Like said before, it depends on what you are used to.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
mandms7 said:
I am going to be purchasing a used 2005 330Ci ZHP on Monday. I haven't actually driven it yet, as it is several hundred miles away, but I have test driven other ZHP's. I've been reading here recently that a number of owners are describing the ride as "harsh" due to the 18" rims, low profile tires, and/or the suspension setup of the ZHP. While I don't expect a cushy ride, I don't want an uncomfortable ride.

Do you consider your ZHP's ride harsh? Have you grown tired or are you frustrated with the ride quality? Any input would be appreciated!
3 years, 28K miles, still love it. Yes its firm compared to "most" cars. Yes the 18s are firmer than 17s but I'm not convinced there is that much difference between a stock 330 (which comes standard with "sport" suspension anyway) really.

BTW I'm not young, sort of mid 40s if it helps; and most of my driving is in Central Florida.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input.

AudioslaveFan - I'm getting a 330Ci equipped as follows for $35,000 from a private seller. Its almost brand new!
- Mystic Blue Metallic
- Mileage: 3,800
- 6-speed manual
- Performance Package
- Alcantara/Cloth
- Adaptive Xenon Headlights
- Heated Front Seats
- Navigation
- The owner also had a Denison IPOD system installed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you like taking turns fast and having a new defintion for feel for the road... then purchase a zhp... It's well worth it to know the road and how the car handles then the comfort of a jaguar or a lexus that doesnt handle nearly as well...

·
Registered
87 Posts
ZHP is too harsh??? Compared to my beloved RX-7, I'd have to say my ZHP is rather cushy. :angel:

·
Registered
336 Posts
mandms7 said:

Dude (or Dudette);

I'm not going to read the replies, nor do I have to, in order to answer your question.

YOU CANNOT REGRET BUYING A PERFORMANCE PACKAGE BMW!!!:angel:

Ok, my "caps are off". Seriously, the ride is not harsh. Drive it and see. A 330ci ZHP is totally :bigpimp: and:bow: .

Ok, carry on.

·
Registered
336 Posts
philippek said:
Yes.

You will regret the fact that no other car in the universe will ever feel as good as the one you are about to buy.

You will regret the fact that you will look down on other drivers and other cars, secure in the knowledge that you pilot a superior vehicle than 95% of the other inhabitants of this planet.

You will regret the fact that you will no longer be able to restrain yourself to the speed limit or even 10 or 20 miles above it. Especially on freeway onramps.

You will regret the fact that you will become obsessive and possessive, passionate and irrational, compulsive and immersed in all things ZHP.

Now get over it.
Spoken like a true-blue ZHP-ophile!

Err, especially about the driving fast paragraph (sometimes 30+ mph):eeps: .

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
The ZHP is an E-ticket ride....you`ll only regret if you DON`T buy it....

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
49 Posts
mandms7 said:
Thanks for the input.

AudioslaveFan - I'm getting a 330Ci equipped as follows for $35,000 from a private seller. Its almost brand new!
- Mystic Blue Metallic
- Mileage: 3,800
- 6-speed manual
- Performance Package
- Alcantara/Cloth
- Adaptive Xenon Headlights
- Heated Front Seats
- Navigation
- The owner also had a Denison IPOD system installed.
What did he do, steal it?:bigpimp: The previous owner has to be upside down.

That is too good to be true. You got one helluva deal.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
mandms7 said:

Why even ask when you've already driven other ZHP's? :dunno: You know what you're getting. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Having had two zhp's, I'll say not harsh at all... Sporty but still plenty of comfort for daily driving. Having said that, I think sedans are quieter/comfier than coupes (stiffer, framed doors, more headroom) and that mich PS ride better than bridgestones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my ZHP. I think the ride is great - yes it is very firm. For me, the tightness conveys control. That said, my wife finds the ride tiring. It would not be her choice of car.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Since you're in the Bay Area, the roads (for the most part) are very good. You will not notice a harsh ride at all except over some very bad roads.

The suspension is the perfect balance of everyday drivability and point & shoot precision.

I had back surgery in January of this year & the ride was a bear to tough out for the first few months, but, all is a.o.k. now.

Don't worry too much about the ride. You'll totally enjoy it. Just about everybody I've talked to about my car has had nothing but praise for the suspension/handling of it.

Johnny

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.