BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2003 m3 smg. i noticed that the car bangs into gear (particularly the lower ones)upon hard accelleration...it sounds like i am hurting the car...am I?

What program do you all drive in for normal cruising?

I seem to find myself prefering the laster shifts. The auto mode hesitation drives me a bit crazy and I am having trouble getting used to it.

I found that if I reduce the throttle pressure just a tad in s mode...it smooths out the shift...

any advice and tips would be appreciated

thanks

·
Hydrocarbon Man
3,126 Posts
ebaybrad said:
I found that if I reduce the throttle pressure just a tad in s mode...it smooths out the shift...
mmmyeah...I'd say reducing throttle when shifting MIGHT smooth things out for you.

Auto mode is garbage, stay out of it if you can.

·
Banned
310 Posts
ebaybrad said:
I just got a 2003 m3 smg. i noticed that the car bangs into gear (particularly the lower ones)upon hard accelleration...it sounds like i am hurting the car...am I?

What program do you all drive in for normal cruising?

I seem to find myself prefering the laster shifts. The auto mode hesitation drives me a bit crazy and I am having trouble getting used to it.

any advice and tips would be appreciated

thanks
Stay in S3, A3, S4, or A4 mode.

You don't really hurt the car but the guibo/flex disc, rear trailing arm bushings, and differential bushings tend to wear out faster.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Having never driven an SMG....I can say that I have been told you have to drive it like a manual and not keep your foot planted on shifts.

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
Maybe read the manual.

You are probably in S4 or S5 and that is how it shifts. Try S2 or S3 or learn to lift slightly as you shift. Driving SMG is more like driving a manual than an auto. ANd you have to be involved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts