BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. The last thread I read going on about a water leak on the #5 glow pug and shorting it out through the failing seal.

Maybe my 2010 doesn't apply as my setup does have a partition at the top of the engine bay / lower part of the windshield. But it just doesn't look right.

Please excuse the poor quality of these pictures as I took them last night. I've been scratching my head and need some extra eyes on this.

So I'm turning to you guys to help me out here.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the picture! And thanks for pointing me in the direction of the parts. :thumbup:

Broken or missing all together? It's crazy to me how I never noticed until I've been looking around under the hood lately and it just hit me that the parts were missing. Just picked up the car from the dealer right at a month ago now and they've never been there. I'm debating on contacting them and seeing if they can get those parts to me and I'll install them myself!

·
bmw addiction
7,161 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Engine Compartment Bulkhead Partition - Replacement Parts

OP thanks for starting this thread . . . after reading your thread I decided to take a closer look at mine . . . sure enough, both left partition (P/N 51-71-7-169-419) and right partition (P/N 51-71-7-169-420) are cracked on mine, center partition (P/N 51-71-7-169-421) one appears to be intact.

Most interestingly - just looking at it, standing in front of the car, they all appear to be in very good condition . . . today I ran my fingers along the bottom of these three pieces and used a flashlight . . . the cracks were clearly visible and pretty much run the entire length of both left and right pieces.

My vehicle: X5 35d, MY2011, June 2010 build, ~150,000 miles

Since I pulled up all the parts info, I am hyperlinking (shown in blue) the relevant pages here for future users.

sunny_j . . . when I looked up RealOEM parts diagram there are two center-pieces - top center (P/N 51-71-7-169-421) and lower center (P/N 51-71-7-169-422). ECS Tuning kit only includes the top center-piece. The lower center cost almost twice as the top center piece.

QUESTION - Should I assume the lower center-piece doesn't have this crack issue and not order that part? I can't tell whether the lower center-piece is cracked or not without taking it apart.

Thanks.

·
bmw addiction
7,161 Posts
Although ECS Tuning sells it as a kit (US$208.29, free shipping, collects tax), it is not that much cheaper than buying it from BMW of South Atlanta (US$235.16, no tax, includes shipping) . . . savings $27.
I try to avoid ECS and turner motorsports now

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Thanks for the quick response . . .

I will just replace the left/right and top center partitions . . . and take a good look at the lower center partition to see if there are any cracks.

Agree with you . . . when the prices are near similar I stick with BMW dealer sourced parts . . . BMW of South Atlanta seems to have very good prices . . .

Thanks again . . .

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OP thanks for starting this thread
There is another thread that address this... I know it's been covered. Maybe on another forum I ran across. But unlike yours and most others that are cracked, mine are completely gone. I can't believe it wasn't noticed by the BMW place I purchased it from. Pre-owned and all, AS-IS and all I get that. But this is hard to miss. Now that I know what to look for, and I would've thought so would any BMW tech that ran over this X5. :dunno:

I'm going to take a better daytime shot and email that to them as well as sunny's so they can see the comparison. Now that they don't know what parts I'm referring to but if they missed it the first time I guess I should remind them what it's supposed to look like. :rolleyes:

RPsX5d, Glad you found the need to replace yours. Before it causes issues.

But again, look at mine. I've got nothing. I would take cracks at this point :rofl:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
As I mentioned in my first post, I had to look for this crack . . . I have been reading about this partition cracking, and water causing issues with the electronics and injectors below . . . previously I looked at it and it looked fine (my engine compartment is very clean, no grime, etc) . . . today I ran my fingers from the bottom and I could feel the crack . . . when I applied a slight pressure I could see the crack . . . i.e. there was nothing flapping about - just a nice neat crack!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
I had to replace a 4th piece. I forget which side, but it is in addition to 'the big three'.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I had to replace a 4th piece. I forget which side, but it is in addition to 'the big three'.
Is the fourth piece this one - lower center partition (P/N 51-71-7-169-422) . . . this one sits sort of behind and lower to the top center piece.

Here is the relevant RealOEM diagram.

Initially, I didn't order #15 as it was not part of the ECS kit, so I assumed #15 is not a problem part. Also #15 is nearly twice the cost of #14. See attached picture.

On second thought, after reading ard's post, I went ahead ordered #15 in addition to #10 (2) and #14. #10 and #14 are visible and can be easily checked for cracks . . . #15 is harder to check, so if it cracks a year or two from now, I won't know . . . hence the decision to change them all at once.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts