BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Is the fourth piece this one - lower center partition (P/N 51-71-7-169-422) . . . this one sits sort of behind and lower to the top center piece.

Here is the relevant RealOEM diagram.

Initially, I didn't order #15 as it was not part of the ECS kit, so I assumed #15 is not a problem part. Also #15 is nearly twice the cost of #14. See attached picture.

On second thought, after reading ard's post, I went ahead ordered #15 in addition to #10 (2) and #14. #10 and #14 are visible and can be easily checked for cracks . . . #15 is harder to check, so if it cracks a year or two from now, I won't know . . . hence the decision to change them all at once.
No, mine was #18. In fact I ordered the wrong one. Then just ordered the correct on and replaced both.

51757171791 or

I didnt think mine degraded, but may have been cracked by one of the larger attached pieces torquing on it?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
No, mine was #18. . . . I didnt think mine degraded, but may have been cracked by one of the larger attached pieces torquing on it?
Thanks! I will check this part on both sides to be sure they are not cracked . . . I haven't looked for these under the hood yet . . . it looks like these parts, unlike #15, is easily accessible/visible.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Crap. 5 years. that was quick....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update: Received an email from the GM at the dealership and he said they would be mailing the parts out today and apologies they missed that. So I have to put them on myself.. It's all good. Better than having to buy them. And like Doug pointed out it will be a good time to inspect everything under the hood. Get familiar with it all.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Final Update: I think it's pretty much a wrap. Not missing anything anymore... except 2 screws. Which I'm pretty sure I can source those pretty easily.

Box showed up with my parts and they were super easy to install.

Thanks for all the feedback and contributions on this thread!

P.S. I apologize for all of my pictures being so dark. As you can tell I'm normally doing all my work at that time after the wife and kids are in bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Only reporting back . . . only had to replace the three pieces, rest of the pieces were all in good condition . . .

while doing this replacement checked the injector area - no corrosion . . . so I am hoping no damage from those broken partitions . . .

I used to check for cracks . . . mine cracked neatly, a quick look didn't reveal anything . . . after reading this thread I went back and placed my finger underneath the partition (where the cracks happen) I could feel it . . . closer examination revealed they were all cracked . . .

glad I caught it . . .

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Only reporting back . . . only had to replace the three pieces, rest of the pieces were all in good condition . . .

while doing this replacement checked the injector area - no corrosion . . . so I am hoping no damage from those broken partitions . . .

I used to check for cracks . . . mine cracked neatly, a quick look didn't reveal anything . . . after reading this thread I went back and placed my finger underneath the partition (where the cracks happen) I could feel it . . . closer examination revealed they were all cracked . . .

glad I caught it . . .
Glad you did too!

You brought up a good point... I need to go back and check my engine for sure! Just to look for corrosion. Fingers crossed none present.

Also.. I need someone else's eyes on this screw I found. Can't seem to pinpoint the exact two I need but pretty sure this will do the trick. Thoughts?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-torx-bolt-for-plastic-material-4x14-znt-51419124467

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
. . . Also.. I need someone else's eyes on this screw I found. Can't seem to pinpoint the exact two I need but pretty sure this will do the trick. Thoughts?https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-torx-bolt-for-plastic-material-4x14-znt-51419124467
Not sure I understood your question correct . . . are you asking whether the BMW Torx Bolt (P/N 51-41-9-124-467) is part of the engine bay partitions?

No, it is not . . . the torx bolt you reference is part of the gear selector assembly . . . #6 on this diagram.

The screws you need for the engine bay partitions in case one or more are missing/broken are shown in this diagram.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not sure I understood your question correct . . . are you asking whether the BMW Torx Bolt (P/N 51-41-9-124-467) is part of the engine bay partitions?

No, it is not . . . the torx bolt you reference is part of the gear selector assembly . . . #6 on this diagram.

The screws you need for the engine bay partitions in case one or more are missing/broken are shown in this diagram.
You're right! The torx bolt that ties the 2 side partitions together with the center.

I see the diagram but it gives all available hardware for engine compartment mounting parts.

Which one do I need?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You're right! The torx bolt that ties the 2 side partitions together with the center.

I see the diagram but it gives all available hardware for engine compartment mounting parts.

Which one do I need?
I took a look under the hood (see picture) . . . my best guess is Item #16 on this diagram . . . Torx-bolt with washer (P/N 07-14-7-114-625)

You could also call a BMW dealer parts line and have them look up this part number . . . and have them confirm this is the right screw/washer you need . . . they probably have a diagram that shows where #16 goes.

Finally, IMO any screw with the matching thread and a washer should be plenty good . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I recently noticed my 3 pieces are broken as well and didnt want to start a new thread as there are a few of these already. I know what I need to buy and it costs a bit over $400 for all 3 pieces. So far everything on my X5 is OEM but I cant seem to justify paying $400 for some plastic pieces vs like $45 for 3 pieces on eBay. My questions is will the quality be that different to justify the crazy price difference? Please let me know your thoughts as I will be ordering it soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I recently noticed my 3 pieces are broken as well and didnt want to start a new thread as there are a few of these already. I know what I need to buy and it costs a bit over $400 for all 3 pieces. So far everything on my X5 is OEM but I cant seem to justify paying $400 for some plastic pieces vs like $45 for 3 pieces on eBay. My questions is will the quality be that different to justify the crazy price difference? Please let me know your thoughts as I will be ordering it soon. Thanks.
I have a brand new one from China sitting in my garage. Ordered by mistake. Material quality was fine but the holes were hand drilled and a little off the spot it should have been. Never tried installing.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have a brand new one from China sitting in my garage. Ordered by mistake. Material quality was fine but the holes were hand drilled and a little off the spot it should have been. Never tried installing.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
I replaced the partitions at the dealership. Chinese stuff may look good but material will breakdown and cause a fire hazard.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
According to most that have replaced theirs speak to how vital these parts are when it comes to the possibility of leaks and shorting out injectors. Specifically the #5.

It's easy for me to say because I didn't buy mine, but I wouldn't cut corners on these parts especially due to the purpose they serve.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
This is more of a diesel issue right? I’m not doing anything with my partitions I have so if ill_kuma wants mine he can have them for shipping and a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
21 - 40 of 45 Posts