BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
This is more of a diesel issue right? I***8217;m not doing anything with my partitions I have so if ill_kuma wants mine he can have them for shipping and a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
If you don't mind water on your engine it's not just a diesel issue. Are you thinking gas engines have a different better part lol...

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
If you don't mind water on your engine it's not just a diesel issue. Are you thinking gas engines have a different better part lol...
Nope. Just a spark plug in a different position under the drip. Isn't it something like cylinder #5 that gets the drip from the typical leak on the diesel? Not where my plugs are? They leak on all models but mostly affect the diesels if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd think it's still a problem because other things can go bad.
I used epoxy glue to fix my cracked side partitions and it's held up for a year +

·
Registered
2012 X5 35i (E70)
16 Posts
I am about ready to replace my engine partitions. I have 2 questions for anyone following:

1) Did anybody use a kind of rubber paste / sealant / caulking material between the center and the right and left partitions? If so, what product did you use? I have seen one post refer to using “black RTV” between them.

I ask this because after I got my engine swapped*, I noticed that there was a black sticky material between those parts. I wonder if its BMW standard or just something my independent shop did. Its just sticky enough so you can still pull the partitions apart if you need to do repairs.

2) Thinking to use the Chinese parts. I heard the bolt/screw holes are often not aligned and requires some work to use them. After installed, has anyone had a disaster with them? Like, they melted or broke apart unexpectedly. The original parts don’t seem so durable anyway, so if the Chinese part lasted a couple years I think they would be worth it.

(*BTW, yes, had to swap the engine last year.)

41 - 45 of 45 Posts