BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Am I obsessed?

1784 23
Ive been told my friend and coworkers on more than one ocasion that Im obsessed with my car. I just think Im really careful with it.
For example:

No eating in or on my car

No leaning, only if Im leaning myself is it ok.

Dont slam my doors. A simple pull on the handle will close it. If it sounds loud you slammed it.

When driving at first in the morning or if its over 90 degrees outside temp I drive slow. Less than 2k rpm to get to my desired speed.

No more than 2 riders in the back seat.

I drive around any an all uneven surfaces that look like they may shorten the life of my suspension.

Wash once a week. Even is it will rain the next day. If it rains, I will be seen in the parking lot of my job drying it.

I turn on and off my headlights in a sequential manner parking > fogs > low beams. Any other way is wrong IMO.

Wiper setting will be no higher than the intermittent rain detection setting when drizzling. Its a pet peeve to me when people have their wipers on fast and its barely raining.

Even tho its an auto I always pull my parking brake when when I put it in park before releasing the brakes.

I smoke on ocasion but Not in the car.
Just no.

I live in NYC.. God help the individual I find leaning or sitting on my car when Park in the street.

Thats all i can think of for now.

01 540ms 86k...

My baby. :)
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Got you beat!!!!

All the above:

Plus......

I don't even lean on my car,
only water to drink in the car,
no cigarette smell, i dont care if you smoked outside,
car is never ever parked on the street (no one is going to lean on it)
No need to wash it once a week, since it's never driven in the rain.
I avoid driving in most of NYC so the car does not fall apart.
And so on and so on.
Ive been told my friend and coworkers on more than one ocasion that Im obsessed with my car. I just think Im really careful with it.
For example:

No eating in or on my car

No leaning, only if Im leaning myself is it ok.

Dont slam my doors. A simple pull on the handle will close it. If it sounds loud you slammed it.

When driving at first in the morning or if its over 90 degrees outside temp I drive slow. Less than 2k rpm to get to my desired speed.

No more than 2 riders in the back seat.

I drive around any an all uneven surfaces that look like they may shorten the life of my suspension.

Wash once a week. Even is it will rain the next day. If it rains, I will be seen in the parking lot of my job drying it.

I turn on and off my headlights in a sequential manner parking > fogs > low beams. Any other way is wrong IMO.

Wiper setting will be no higher than the intermittent rain detection setting when drizzling. Its a pet peeve to me when people have their wipers on fast and its barely raining.

Even tho its an auto I always pull my parking brake when when I put it in park before releasing the brakes.

I smoke on ocasion but Not in the car.
Just no.

I live in NYC.. God help the individual I find leaning or sitting on my car when Park in the street.

Thats all i can think of for now.

01 540ms 86k...

My baby. :)
Lmao @ if u smell like a cigarette you better shower.
Smoking and drinking (Big Gulps) shouldn't be a problem because Bloomberg has pretty much banned it from everywhere! LMFAO.
lol I have been diagnosed as well...
I also put my ebrake up before putting it in park a habit i have always done, supposedly it protects the transaxle. It is impossible to park in nyc and make sure no one is leaning on your car, bumping into it, scratching it, sitting on it, you might as well camp next to your car.
And what good would it be if i beat someone up for leaning on my car? a nice trip to jail with an assault charge, is it worth it? a elderly man was walking on the sidewalk near my building where my car was parked he appeared out of breath and started to lean on my car while catching his breath, welcome to nyc.
if you can see him, you can reach him. Why did you allow this to happen? FAIL!
I also put my ebrake up before putting it in park a habit i have always done, supposedly it protects the transaxle. It is impossible to park in nyc and make sure no one is leaning on your car, bumping into it, scratching it, sitting on it, you might as well camp next to your car.
And what good would it be if i beat someone up for leaning on my car? a nice trip to jail with an assault charge, is it worth it? a elderly man was walking on the sidewalk near my building where my car was parked he appeared out of breath and started to lean on my car while catching his breath, welcome to nyc.
Old man catching his breath fine.. But not the usual riff raff found in harlem and the bronx leaning n sitting while they use my trunk as a table for their nemos and cranberry juice. FOH! But thats usually only when i go to a mistress.
if they want to shoot dice on the hood thats fine but cranberry is the line. That stuff stains.
Everytime I push it to 130mph+ 5k+ rpm's ( which i rarely do), I cruise around just to give the engine time to cool down and let it breathe. Once I turn it off I also check around gaskets for leaks.

Are any other measures that can be taken after "driving spiritually"?
no. only turbos need to cool down before shutting it off.
Beat it as hard as you want. Just stay up on the maintenance and use quality oem supplier parts. Nun of that cheap chinese ebay crap no matter how tempting the prices are.
If you dont know who the oem supplier for a part is, put the part number in at pelicanparts.com and they show several brands while indicating which is the real one.
You can shorten the life of your cooling system that way. The water circulation stops but your engine is still hot which will locally boil the water. So the pressure increases and you could loose water through the radiator cap. Also the high pressure stresses the cooling components.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Bimmer App
no. only turbos need to cool down before shutting it off.
Beat it as hard as you want.
Yes.. i let car idle for a bit
You can shorten the life of your cooling system that way. The water circulation stops but your engine is still hot which will locally boil the water. So the pressure increases and you could loose water through the radiator cap. Also the high pressure stresses the cooling components.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Bimmer App
If you're obsessed I'm completely psychotic. I do all of those same things, plus the streets in this town are extremely poorly maintained. So, I put many miles on my car each day taking long routes to get to places so I can avoid driving on streets that I find unacceptable. There are places that I will not do business with, even though they may have what I want, simply because they are streets that I refuse to drive on. On streets that I use, I have a fairly detailed mental map of where each and every pot hole and man hole cover is and anticipate them ahead of time so I can avoid hitting them. Obsessed? I call it just taking care of a valued piece of property.
If anyone borrows my car which no one usually does because they know I go through it to find anything they might have scratch broken or changed in the car. The other day I drove straight to my indy because I say a puddle under my car and I thought it was losing coolant only for him to tell me that its called condensation from the a ac. Little bit embarrassed. I aways quiz my mechanic on wether to do the timing chain guides, evans waterless coolant suspension. I piss off everyone im driving because I park so far a way from anyone.
You LEND out your car? :gasp 0_o

No even asks me. They know better.

And yea, at the movies or when i go to the baseball game I park in parking lot east bubble Phuc. My car being alpine white seems everyone like to open thier doors into mine.
Only to family members.

On the other hand i was driving my brothers beater and some a hole parked so close to me I literally had to go through the passenger side and crawl to drivers seat. I sat in the drivers seat then preceded to open the door and smash it into the a holes door causing a good sized dent. The a holes car was a newer toyota
You LEND out your car? :gasp 0_o

No even asks me. They know better.

And yea, at the movies or when i go to the baseball game I park in parking lot east bubble Phuc. My car being alpine white seems everyone like to open thier doors into mine.
:thumbdwn::tsk:

how are you gonna maintain a dentless door on yr machine if you do this to people!what you give,you get back.works both ways.........:)
Only to family members.

On the other hand i was driving my brothers beater and some a hole parked so close to me I literally had to go through the passenger side and crawl to drivers seat. I sat in the drivers seat then preceded to open the door and smash it into the a holes door causing a good sized dent. The a holes car was a newer toyota
I wouldn't park so close that people have to go through the passenger door to get in the drivers seat. I usually park super far away with my good car
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.