BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped a bolt in my Vanos system, as I was trying to extract it I drilled into the metal underneath it, will this effect my Vanos system at all? it is in-between the bolt and the rubber so I am curious if it matters. thanks guys (its underneath the striped bolt)
Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Water Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
3,359 Posts
Well that’s not good.
I’ve never seen anybody do this but vanos works by oil
Pressure traveling through passages so you could have messed it up or maybe not. I’d personally just rent the timing tools and replace both vanos units while it’s all apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that’s not good.
I’ve never seen anybody do this but vanos works by oil
Pressure traveling through passages so you could have messed it up or maybe not. I’d personally just rent the timing tools and replace both vanos units while it’s all apart.
I already spent a good amount doing the seals, I bought the new seals and swapped them already, I did this as I was torquing the bolts on so im not sure I want to go and buy the two new Vanos units, the knick into the side is in-between the bolt and the rubber gasket that covers it so I don't know if there is any oil even going through there? any way I could just fill the hole? thanks

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
3,359 Posts
Probably not. I don’t know if it will cause a problem or not but I guess it depends on how much you wouldn’t mind doing it all again if there is a problem. The safest bet would be to replace vanos units.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts