BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 330i sedan. It has about 180k miles but still runs great. My problem is the Amber oil level light doesn't illuminate when the oil level appears to be low. Those who own an E46 know that the motor will go through some oil, particularly if you drive the car aggressively. Well anyway, I got into the habit of checking the level with the dipstick every few weeks. I have seen a level well below the low level mark on the stick, but still no light.

I know the light isn't blown because when I move the ignition switch from off to position 1, it illuminates. I have also replaced the level sensor and checked the fuse (F30). I looked up the wiring diagram on this circuit and it looks like power runs from the ignition switch, to the fuse, to the sensor, to the DME, to the amber light and then to ground.

Any ideas on checking anything else other than a broken wire (or connector)?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The sensor in the oil pan is probably bad. Yes, I know that they usually give false "low oil" reading when they are bad but I'm sure that they can fail similar to your symptoms. Replace it at the next oil change.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
158 Posts
they don't become disabled unless some one change that on the dash control, I did that my self once when I kept getting a false reading so I disabled the cold check using NCSEXPERT until I did the next oil change.

Yes is possible they go bad, but if you like to test it there is an option in INPA to test (activate). Other than that just wait for the next oil change and buy a good brand Oil Level sensor.

·
Registered
158 Posts
have you check the wiring from the sensor to the car?
I can't think of anything else other than a bad sensor, buy an OEM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.