BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

ambient air temp sensor

916 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  K9000Wner
outside ambient air temp sensor

missing oat sensor as it only runs to OBC with no impact on engine systems
I dont really care BUT now that it is missing I get OBC warning it is -35F ..."very cold "

anyway I would like to spoof the OBC with a false sensor or ???

want to just put a resister on the broken wire harness to fake an indication of
anything between freezing and boiling to avoid OBC beeps and dings about OAT temps...

any info on the type of sensor or signal it sends would be helpful ...right now I am completely unknowing of this bit of BMW sensor and related.....

also have found nothing with general gogle searches.....
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Why not just replace the sensor?
Agree with ZeGerman, replacing sensor would be fastest and cheapest solution long term. The ambient temp sensors are only about $35 for Genuine BUT we don't have a listing for the harness connection you say is broken.

A broken harness connection could be much harder to find replacement parts. Quick fix would be just shorting the two leads together which would give you no resistance and set ambient to max temp (+122 deg) instead of current open circuit which is min temp. If that doesn't change or eliminate the error code then you've got something more to investigate.

Good luck!
I agree replace sensor would be nice ...
the car is on its last legs ..it has seen to many icy salty winters ..it has been on too many curb blocks ..the underside of front air dam is all broke up missing connector and a place to put it ...
I would much rather just cheat it out ...
any info on sensors would be helpful ...I tried open circuit and closed they both chime issues...

somebody must have a clue as to what the obc wants to see...
If you want to fool the circuit to read something mid-range, put a 220 ohm resistor across the leads. It will then read in the mid 70° F range.
thank you that is what I needed
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.