BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ambient exterior temperature sensor - fixed

640 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  CSMBlack-540i
..may help others - ..was damaged at tip, replaced with one from ebay. Still read -40 and I found one wire broken at the socket. Found this by putting wire into socket to short, should read +122 temperature but still read -40, so that meant a wire was broken. So I cut the socket off. On the temp sensor, took a dremel and cutoff the plastic collar so I could solder wires (4" pigtail) on, just briefly hot, otherwise sensor will be damaged. Then soldered pigtails onto the car wires (make sure to get the polarity right or do a temporary connect to first verify.) Then protected the wires with shrink tubing and electrical tape.

The fixture holder for the sensor ripped off so I found what was left of a plastic bracket inside the plastic front bumper under the fog lamp. Secured it with a wad of epoxy putty. Make sure to keep the tip and conical section of the sensor exposed, oherwise the temp won't read right. Used zip ties to secure the wires.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Great news & good work.

This should help others with issues in the future.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.