BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

One annoying issue that I have found in my new 650 GC is the very weak red ambient lighting on the door panels and there is no option on the control panel to change the brightness or the colour.

Is this an issue that many 650 GC owners have or is it a problem with my car?

Thank you.

Michael

·
'Fest Advisor
1,409 Posts
It is not bright so I don't think anything is wrong with your lighting. It is supposed to be more on the subtle side vs. bright. There is no brightness control (unless perhaps it is codeable/hackable...not sure).

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Ditto replies above...the "ambient" lighting in the early models was designed to be similar to "ambient music"...which is defined as music intended to serve as an unobtrusive accompaniment to other activities . It also depends on what color your interior is, too. I think it shows up better on lighter colored interiors. If you have a dark (black) interior...the lighting is present but doesn't appear to be illuminating...but if you were to insert your hand into one of the door's pockets...you can see the light illuminating your hand. Similar to the LEDs that illuminate the center console...it can go mostly unnoticed until you're in a very dark environment (like driving in the country with no street lights)...and if you move your hand across the center console...you will see how much those LEDs in the overhead console illuminates the console.

If one would prefer brighter lighting and multiple colors...then the later iterations of this option would probably be more to your tastes (like NBT/EVO ID5 or ID6 :dunno: ). You can also check into coding software...I believe it may allow to change the affects of the ambient lighting (but check/read the forums to make sure it would apply to your model year).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts